Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Need help solving Kakuro Puzzle from November 1997

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
9/14/2012 4:44:49 PM

beckart
beckart
I am trying to solve a Kakuro puzzle from the November 1997 issue, Puzzle #10. Need another clue besides the one already given. Does anyone have this edition that can just give me another hint.

9/14/2012 5:20:25 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Holy Smokes, is that an ancient issue or what? By the way, what is Kakuro? Is it anything like Sudoku? I'm no good at Sudoku, but if the Kakuro puzzle is simply a logic puzzle with that Japanese-sounding name, maybe you can quote the introduction and clues, and we can take a stab at it. I've been getting the Dell Logic magazine since 2001, but your issue is even older than anything I'd ever gotten from Dell (not that I still have my old ones, anyway).

--
Amy

9/14/2012 5:39:26 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Amy Kakuro is the same as Cross Sums.

I would love to help you out beckart, but unfortunately I don't have that issue. I don't know if there's a way you can scan the puzzle and some how post it.

9/14/2012 5:53:12 PM

Frances
Frances
Also, beckart: what is the title of this magazine from November 1997?

9/14/2012 6:21:04 PM

beckart
beckart
Frances wrote:

Dell Math Puzzles And Logic Problems

9/14/2012 6:23:36 PM

beckart
beckart
beckart wrote:
Frances wrote:

Dell Math Puzzles And Logic Problems

Puzzle Number 10

9/14/2012 6:25:23 PM

beckart
beckart
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
Holy Smokes, is that an ancient issue or what? By the way, what is Kakuro? Is it anything like Sudoku? I'm no good at Sudoku, but if the Kakuro puzzle is simply a logic puzzle with that Japanese-sounding name, maybe you can quote the introduction and clues, and we can take a stab at it. I've been getting the Dell Logic magazine since 2001, but your issue is even older than anything I'd ever gotten from Dell (not that I still have my old ones, anyway).

Amy
Yes it is old but my son gets these from his teacher as little math stumpers and I love puzzles so I try them. They can be very frustrating...

9/14/2012 7:10:20 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I don't have this issue but if you go to "solvers resources" on the Penny Dell websites there is a printable packet on solving cross sums. It should help. There is even a table with all the possibilities.

9/17/2012 11:28:05 PM

Sorry for getting to this a little late, beckart, but you're talking my language when you're talking cross sums or kakuro. At least for now, as I've solved somewhere close to 60 in the past week or so. What would you like to know? I think IN's advice is sound, with the tables and all. I've never read it, I just kinda learned as I solved and got them stuck in my head. Think of a number... For this, let's just use 13. That's 6-7, 5-8, 4-9. Say you have a string seven numbers that equal 32. That means you're going to minus 6-7, 5-8, or 4-9. Depending on what lines up with that 32 column or row, it may tell you what can be included. It becomes complicated to follow along with a scenario like above unless you have the actual puzzle so you can see what I mean about those variables. You may have a certainty that allows you to say to yourself, well, there's a 5, so I'm sure there will be an 8, and then try to find where the 8 will go. Then you get to the point where you have a 7, so you know there will be a 6. and you can eliminate 9-4, and that might help you place a 4 or 9 in another column or row. Then you have stuff that will just begin to come natural. 23, 9-8-6, 11, 1-2-3-5, etc. And you kind of maneuver around the puzzle in that fashion. Say you have a six number 35, and you have 3 numbers placed. 9-8-7... 24 minus 35 is 11, so you know the rest of your numbers will be 1-2-3-5, and you can fit them accordingly.

That's just a small part of the stuff I learned about these puzzles, and I'll tell you, they're great fun and addictive, as my buying over 1,200 puzzles worth plus a subscription to M&LP for an additional 25 every couple months can attest. Took me a week to solve about half a book, so they will consume some time and possibly an errant brain cell or two, but as long as you're a multi-celled organism, the damage isn't too great, heheh.

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Need help solving Kakuro Puzzle from November 1997