Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Old Logics

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
9/20/2012 11:26:34 AM

Frances
Frances
I sent for that Dell Book of Logic Problems #3 from 1988 that Bernadette had mentioned earlier here as for sale on Ebay. And, as she said, it is indeed a paperback book. What a difference nearly 25 years makes in logic problems. Of the 75 puzzles, only 10 have the grid diagram we are most familiar with today. All the remaining have tables, small charts, half-grids, or drawings. The introduction explaining how to solve logics is 9 pages. For fun, here are 2 examples from that how-to:
-----------------------------
A young woman attending a party was introduced to four men in rather rapid succession and, as usual at such gatherings, their respective types of work were mentioned rather early in the conversation. Unfortunately, she was afflicted with a somewhat faulty memory. Half an hour later, she could remember only that she had met a Mr. Brown, a Mr. White, a Mr. Black, and a Mr. Green. She recalled that among them were a photogapher, a grocer, a banker, and a singer, but she could not recall which was which. Her hostess, a fun-loving friend, refused to refresh her memory, but offered four clues. Happily, the young woman's logic was better than her memory, and she quickly paired each man with his profession. Can you? Here are the clues:

1. Mr. White approached the banker for a loan.
2. Mr. Brown had met the photographer when he hired him to take pictures of his wedding.
3. The singer and Mr. White are friends, but have never had business dealings.
4. Neither Mr. Black nor the singer had ever met Mr. Green before that evening.

[The diagram given for this puzzle is 4 across (Black; Brown; Green; White) and 4 down (banker; grocer; photographer; singer.)]
------------------------------
It was her first visit home in ten years, and Louise wondered how she would manage to see her old friends and still take in the things she wanted to in the seven days she had to spend there. Her worry was needless, however, for when she got off the plane Sunday morning, there were her friends---Anna, Cora, Gert, Jane, Liz, and Mary---waiting to greet her with her seven-day visit all planned. The women knew that Louise wanted to revisit the restaurant where they always used to have lunch together, so Louise's vacation began that Sunday afternoon with a party. After that, each of the women had an entire day to spend with Louise, accompanying her to one of the following things: a ball game, concert, the theater, museum, zoo, and one day reserved for just shopping. From the clues below, find out who took Louise where and on what day.

1. Anna and the museum visitor and the woman whose day followed the zoo visitor were blondes; Gert and the concertgoer and the woman who spent Monday with Louise were brunettes. (Note: All six women are mentioned in this clue.)
2. Cora's day with Louise was not the visit that occurred the day immediately following Mary's day.
3. The six women visited with Louise in the following order: Jane was with Louise the day after the zoo visitor and four days before the museumgoer; Gert was with Louise the day affter the theatergoer and the day before Mary.
4. Anna and the woman who took Louise shopping have the same color hair.

[The diagram given for this one is 6 across (Monday; Tuesday; Wednesday; Thursday; Friday; Saturday) and 2 down (friend; activity).]
-----------------------------
If anyone wants to check their answers, private message me.
Frances.

9/21/2012 8:47:51 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
That's pretty cool Frances! Thanks for posting the 2 puzzles. I haven't tried them yet, but know where to look if the mood strikes! smile
edited by Purple Pisces on 9/21/2012

10/13/2012 9:23:02 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I have forgotten how to start a new post (maybe the button for it isn't on my computer any more?) but I wanted to mention something about King Cole's Court, page 45 of the December 2012 Dell "Logic Lover's Logic Problems" magazine. It took me a while to solve this 3-star puzzle (3-star being medium difficulty), because no note was given to literalists like me, that "3rd fiddler," for example, does NOT mean "3rd of the 3 fiddlers found." It simply means "guy who plays Third Fiddle." Once I figured that out, I no longer had a problem solving the puzzle (which involves Old King Cole missing his pipe, his bowl, his 1st fiddler, 2nd fiddler, and 3rd fiddler, and we have to determine the order in which all were found and so on).

Some puzzles give "notes" that would have been "obvious" to me. But this one could have stood a "note." Well, maybe the next time Dell re-publishes this puzzle, they could add that note.
edited by Amy-in-PA on 10/13/2012

--
Amy