Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Almost done, but I am stuck!

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
9/27/2012 2:30:12 PM

Lighthouse
Lighthouse
Hi everyone!

I love crosswords and do them very often. I am doing one and the clue is,"Impales" It is five letters long and ends with 'es'. I have looked up everything on the word, 'impale', but I cannot find anything ending in 'es'. I cannot change any of the letters in the clue, either.

I also need help with another word. The clue says "Give a speech". It ends in 'te'. The word for it is five letters long as well. I wrote down 'state' as an answer, but it messes up everything else.

I also have a few clue questions.
1. What is a 'rail bird'?
2. I read a clue that said, "imitating". The answer that works is, 'insinuating'. Do you think that goes? I do not think it does.

9/27/2012 3:03:40 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi Lighthouse,

For 'impales' will 'gores' work? 'Give a speech' is probably 'orate.' Rails are birds that live in grassy marshes. We have about a half dozen kinds of rails in the U.S., including the sora, often found in crossword puzzles, too. As you thought, imitating and insinuating are not synonyms. Could you have made a typo and the clue is really 'intimating'? Then insinuating would be right. If the clue is correct, I'd guess these 11-letter answers: duplicating, personating or replicating. Let me know if I've helped.

Frances.

9/27/2012 8:31:41 PM

Lighthouse
Lighthouse
Thanks so much, Frances! You have solved the rest of my crossword! Wave

3/21/2014 2:07:35 AM

DrGonzo888
DrGonzo888
smileday late and a dollar short I'm sure, but a "'rail bird" can also be a "bettor" on horse races or some slant off of that.

3/21/2014 2:04:10 PM

Frances
Frances
DrGonzo888 wrote:
smileday late and a dollar short I'm sure, but a "'rail bird" can also be a "bettor" on horse races or some slant off of that.

I've never heard of that before-----thanks for posting it!

Home » Crossword Talk » Almost done, but I am stuck!