Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Softball League Problem - Please help!

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
10/9/2012 7:58:57 PM

dheath
dheath
Greetings, all. I'm trying to formulate a schedule for a softball league. Here are the variables:

7 teams
2 fields
14 games on the schedule for each team (unbalanced schedule)
Each team must play every other team at least twice
Games are played at 6:00, 7:00, 8:00, or 9:00 on one field and 6:00, 7:00, 8:00 on the other
Individual teams may not play more than 2 games in one night (double header)
No more than one hour between games on double header nights (meaning they cannot have the first game at 6 and the second game at 9).
Of course, teams cannot play at the same time on two different fields.

Thanks!

10/9/2012 10:42:11 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
How long is a game expected to last? If it goes into extra innings and whatnot, maybe the 2nd game would have to be held at some ungodly hour like 10:00. And how do you know the teams scheduled to play at 7, actually get to play at 7? Do they kick the 6:00 players out at the witching hour of 7? I'm not familiar with softball rules, but in major league baseball, a game can go on for a huge amount of time. So not knowing all the rules, I can't help you here. Are you just making this up as a logic problem, or is this a serious schedule for actual teams or something?

Sorry if my "answer" is not much help, but somehow I can't see people being kicked off a field just because others come along; I'm not used to it.
edited by Amy-in-PA on 10/9/2012

--
Amy

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Softball League Problem - Please help!