Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Crossword Clue help

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
10/12/2012 5:46:15 PM

Lighthouse
Lighthouse
Hi Everyone!

Can I have help with the crossword clue, "Ancient Greek Storage Vessel?" I have no idea what to write down. It is seven letters long and the fifth letter might be 'N'.

Thanks!
LighthouseWave

10/12/2012 6:56:35 PM

Lighthouse
Lighthouse
I will try that. Thank you very much, Bernadette!

Bernadette1959 wrote:
Hi Lighthouse!

Could it be "Amphora?" (I realize the fifth letter isn't an "n".)

Bernadette

10/25/2012 10:37:13 PM

bigvern60
bigvern60
I got two words for you: crossword dictionary

10/26/2012 12:18:51 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
bigvern60 wrote:

I find crossword puzzle dictionaries to be irrelevant most of the time. I could never find an answer relevant a clue. I think at one point they were useful, but modern crossword cluing has changed enough they aren't useful. I donated mine to the library book drive years ago. At least with me, I usually get stuck on geography type clues or old movies / books / music. I use Google in addition to my big 5 reference books: World Almanac, the dictionary, thesaurus, atlas and NY Public Library Book of knowledge.

10/26/2012 12:40:33 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Hi Bernadette:
A dictionary is the perfect companion to anacrostics. I recently bought a new American Heritage Dictionary that I absolutely love. The kids ARE NOT allow to touch it! LOL! They get to use my beat up Merriam Webster Collegiate.

I also love Greek Mythology / History. My daughter got into it via the "Percy Jackson" books she was reading and it fueled a passion for the myths and history with the both of us. We collect mythology books and take out history books from the library. My favorite personally is the Myth of the Golden Fleece as well as Theseus and the maze. We've collected some good World History books that have lots of good photo or relics from the ancient world.

IN_Puzzler

Bernadette1959 wrote:
I don't own a crossword dictionary, either. Years ago when I was solving a lot of anacrostics I used to always keep my large Merriam-Webster dictionary and my thesaurus handy but even they've not gotten a lot of use here lately.

Concerning the clue about the Ancient Greek storage vessel? My husband retired almost two years ago and has become quite a voracious reader of Ancient Greek history. He gave me the "amphora" answer right off the bat. I wish Lighthouse would return to let me know if it was indeed the correct answer. My husband would love to know if he was right! LOL

10/26/2012 12:50:10 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I would also add that I bought the Merriam Webster Dictionary for my Kindle (free) and use that alot when I don't want to pull the tome off the shelf.

IN_Puzzler wrote:
Hi Bernadette:
A dictionary is the perfect companion to anacrostics. I recently bought a new American Heritage Dictionary that I absolutely love. The kids ARE NOT allow to touch it! LOL! They get to use my beat up Merriam Webster Collegiate.

I also love Greek Mythology / History. My daughter got into it via the "Percy Jackson" books she was reading and it fueled a passion for the myths and history with the both of us. We collect mythology books and take out history books from the library. My favorite personally is the Myth of the Golden Fleece as well as Theseus and the maze. We've collected some good World History books that have lots of good photo or relics from the ancient world.

IN_Puzzler

Bernadette1959 wrote:
I don't own a crossword dictionary, either. Years ago when I was solving a lot of anacrostics I used to always keep my large Merriam-Webster dictionary and my thesaurus handy but even they've not gotten a lot of use here lately.

Concerning the clue about the Ancient Greek storage vessel? My husband retired almost two years ago and has become quite a voracious reader of Ancient Greek history. He gave me the "amphora" answer right off the bat. I wish Lighthouse would return to let me know if it was indeed the correct answer. My husband would love to know if he was right! LOL

10/26/2012 1:55:37 PM

Frances
Frances
I have The Million Word Crossword Dictionary by Stanley Newman and Daniel Stark. It's up-to-date with lots of popular culture entries, and doubles as a thesaurus. Pretty hefty book. I love it and use it often. Another one that I use occasionally is the second edition of Webster's New Explorer Crossword Puzzle Dictionary. Both of these list the "answer" words by word length, which is helpful, both in solving and constructing puzzles.

10/27/2012 12:16:03 PM

Frances
Frances
Bernadette1959 wrote:

Frances, do you keep the heftier dictionary out and open for your use? Years ago when I worked as a page at our local library, we had (like most libraries, I imagine) a pedestal with one of those huge dictionaries kept out and open on it. I always told myself that one day when I had a home of my own I would have one of those huge dictionaries on a pedestal, but after 29 years I don't yet have the huge dictionary or the pedestal! LOL smile

I have it stacked horizontally on the bookshelf with a couple of other frequently used books. It makes it a lot easier to use. Coincidentally, years ago I also cast an envious eye on the big dictionary open on a pedestal in our library, and thought it would be neat to get one for home. But, likewise, never did. I also wanted the Encyclopedia Britannica, but like the big dictionary, out of my price range. Now, of course, they're no longer printing the Encyclopedia. Too bad. Reading it online would be nowhere near the pleasurable experience of leafing through a fine tome.
edited by Frances on 10/27/2012

10/27/2012 9:32:02 PM

Frances
Frances
I also have the World Book Encyclopedia----from 1963! Our parents bought it for us kids to help with schoolwork. And you know, even as outdated as it is, I still occasionally check something out in one of the volumes. I like their set-up, the outlines, and cross-referencing at the end of articles. I think they still are making them. I enjoy just browsing, which inevitably always happens before, during, or after looking something up! smile

10/28/2012 8:30:29 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I think they still are in print. Our library has sets in the kids area.

My parents invested in the Encyclopedia Britanica around 1985. They had gold leaf around the edges. I used to love those books. They were set up differently than the World Book I remember. World Book was topics A-Z (dinosaurs were my fav) but the EB was split into 2 sections, Micropedia and Macropedia. The micropedia was essentially an abstract on every possible topic. The macropedia was the long disseration for the important topics. It was possible not to have an entry in the macropedia for a specific topic. I still remember reading the bios of my favorite scientist in the macro, Lavosier, Einstien, Oppenheimer, Bohr, Pauling. The paper was like onion-thin and dense. Tiny black and white photos. 2 column format.

Bernadette1959 wrote:
Frances, one of my greatest pleasures in life used to be just sitting down with our encyclopedias and leafing through them. There were five of us kids in my family and when we were young my parents couldn't afford a set of encyclopedias for us. There was a wonderful neighbor who lived across the street who had a set of World Book encyclopedias and she would let us come over just about anytime to read them!

Now I never bought the huge dictionary or the pedestal but a set of World Book encyclopedias was one of the first big items my husband and I purchased after we were married!

I wonder if World Book is still printing encyclopedias? smile

10/28/2012 5:50:51 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Chris, have you read Feynman's autobiographical books? I really like them. One of them is called "What do you care what other people think?" (or a similar title). The other is "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman."

--
Amy

10/29/2012 5:59:15 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I have Websters Third New International Unabridged Dictionary. It weighs 13 lbs. and is 4 1/2 in. thick. 2662 pages long. I'm amazed at how often I use it and not just for puzzling either. I keep it on the top shelf of my computer desk but I'm not sure why because every time I reach to get it down I picture dropping it on my computer. It would destroy it. It just fits so nicely there. Geez, sometimes I'm a real idiot. CC

10/29/2012 12:18:46 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
Chris, have you read Feynman's autobiographical books? I really like them. One of them is called "What do you care what other people think?" (or a similar title). The other is "Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman."

I have to say he's been under my radar, but I have heard of Dr. Feynman. I'll look for them at the library. It wont be for a while I think, I brought home a stack of about 10 books to go thru yesterday. I think I'm booked (pun intended) solid with reading material for the rest of the year. I'll add them to my "to read" list though. Thanks for the suggestion.
edited by IN_Puzzler on 10/29/2012

10/29/2012 7:42:59 PM

Semipro
Semipro
Bernadette, you'd never store books above the bed if you lived in earthquake country. Not more than once, anyway.

I have Webster's Second Unabridged. It's on a piano bench that I bought used. We don't have a piano, but the bench makes a nice dictionary stand. Also the OED's compact edition, with magnifier; the American Heritage dictionary, first college edition; and a 1960 Britannica, which was published before they divided it into two categories of lookups. I still consult the Britannica once in a while even though many topics are easier to find online.

Usage note, for anyone who doesn't know: The phrase "a set of encyclopedias" is widespread but incorrect. An encyclopedia is a set of volumes, unless it's the kind that occupies just one volume.

11/5/2012 10:33:17 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Bernadette, I once read a sad newspaper article about a woman who worked for the state government in Trenton (whose husband I knew of, because he worked in Trenton as an auditor and he audited one of my clients). She and another guy who worked at the state, went into a room that had a lot of filing cabinets in it, and somehow a whole lot of filing cabinets toppled over them, and the rubble killed them. At least books aren't usually made of metal, but I'd still be a little scared to have a lot of heavy books over my head.

--
Amy

11/6/2012 1:06:58 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Now see, I'm just the opposite. My O.C.D. keeps my house AND yard spotless. The problem is that when I see the perfect place for something and it fits there, that's where it has to go. Even if I have to go out of my way to get it or it's absolutely dangerous just doesn't matter. It's in the PERFECT place! CC OMG I'm one sick little puppy!

11/30/2012 7:14:55 AM

joytn
joytn
bigvern60 wrote:

2/1/2013 12:45:10 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Hey Everyone,

This thread is discussed in the letters page of Pocket Crosswords March 2013!

2/1/2013 12:57:34 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Wow, isn't that neat?

--
Amy

2/4/2013 2:11:53 PM

Frances
Frances
I picked up this magazine today and read the Pocket Patter comments. The editor did a nice job describing the discussion on this topic. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, IN_Puzzler.

Home » Crossword Talk » Crossword Clue help