Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Math & Logic Problems "Collector's Editions"

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
10/25/2012 9:45:54 AM

Gary Kleppe
Gary Kleppe
Dear editors,

It seems like the past four or five issues of M&LP have been "Collector's Editions," which is a really silly euphemism for reprint issues. How long is this going to continue? Speaking as a collector, I see no reason to keep paying for magazines containing puzzles that I've already bought. I'm seriously thinking of letting my subscription lapse and just picking up the non-reprint issues in stores, if and when any come out.

10/25/2012 9:51:31 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Gary, you'll probably find that some (but not all) of the puzzles in regular editions you can buy in the store, are also reprints of "oldies but goodies." I have a subscription to Dell logic puzzles, and every so often I recognize several old puzzles I had once done (but I do enjoy trying them again). Since I don't usually save my old magazines, this is fine with me. I can see, though, that if you keep enough old puzzle books, and keep them in good enough condition that you can re-do a puzzle several years later if you want, you could indeed save money by not bothering to keep up your subscription. Every so often, though, a bi-monthly issue will turn out to have a few completely NEW puzzles, mixed in with many of the old ones. So then you'd be losing out on seeing some cool new puzzle.

--
Amy

10/25/2012 1:41:49 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I was wondering about the "Collector's Editions" myself but for a different reason. I am a fairly new subscriber so for me personally the reprinted puzzles are all going to be new. What I'm wondering about is the future of this publication. Is the reason they're having so many reprinted puzzles (another Collector's Edition hits the stands in December) is because there is a shortage of certain puzzles in the magazine? I really love my subscription to Math & Logic Problems and hope to continue it for many years to come!

10/25/2012 6:44:21 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I would imagine finding constructors must be a real challenge.

10/27/2012 11:10:36 PM

shasta
shasta
Thank you for the reminder, Gary. I wanted to subscribe to “Math & Logic” before the end of the year. I used to pick one up from time to time just to keep my basic math skills (after using a computer at work all day) honed, but haven’t seen it on the racks lately and decided to subscribe.

On the principle I am getting the better/best from previous publications, I usually get the “Original Logic Problems”, which are always “Special Collector’s Edition, Classic Puzzles”.

I started doing logic problems so long ago, I consider it inevitable to run into the same – or, at least, similar ones. I don’t think I would ever recall answers verbatim, but I might remember the approach.

If they were fun to solve the first time, they are fun to solve the second anyway. At least, to me.

--
Shasta

10/28/2012 12:03:18 AM

Semipro
Semipro
Reusing puzzles is cheaper than buying, checking, and editing new ones. I imagine the magazines would cost considerably more if all puzzles were new.

10/28/2012 8:33:59 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Crosswords and word-play games are so much fun, but if you want to give your brain a real workout, math problems are where its at (for me).

Fortunately, my day job entails a lot of math, but more in the order of complex problem solving. So I usually look to crosswords and word games for my diversions.

Sharon wrote:
Thank you for the reminder, Gary. I wanted to subscribe to “Math & Logic” before the end of the year. I used to pick one up from time to time just to keep my basic math skills (after using a computer at work all day) honed, but haven’t seen it on the racks lately and decided to subscribe.

On the principle I am getting the better/best from previous publications, I usually get the “Original Logic Problems”, which are always “Special Collector’s Edition, Classic Puzzles”.

I started doing logic problems so long ago, I consider it inevitable to run into the same – or, at least, similar ones. I don’t think I would ever recall answers verbatim, but I might remember the approach.

If they were fun to solve the first time, they are fun to solve the second anyway. At least, to me.

10/28/2012 8:13:34 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I like the mix that comes in this particular magazine! There's a good balance between number logic and the "traditional" logic problems. The one thing that isn't included that I would like to see is one or two Logic Art puzzles.

I've noticed lately when looking at puzzle magazines at my local supermarket that I'm hard pressed to find a Logic title. I'm not sure how frequently the variety titles are published but know a good amount of the logic ones are either bi-monthly or quarterly, so maybe that has something to do with it. I take it as a good sign that the logic magazines are popular. It is nice having a subscription knowing I don't have to go hunting for my favorites! smile

10/28/2012 10:01:44 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I've never tried the Logic Art problems, but they're always at the back of my bi-monthly subscription to Dell Logic Lover's Logic Problems. In fact, I'm done with my Dec. 2012 issue, and before I toss it on the recycling pile, I'll save it (or, at least, the pages with the Logic Art problems and their answers) so if you want it, let me know, complete with your address, and I'll mail you those pages.
edited by Amy-in-PA on 10/28/2012

--
Amy

10/28/2012 10:34:14 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Thanks for offering Amy, but I actually have a pretty good supply of Logic Art! I bought the PDF puzzle pack, plus have quite a few I printed off from the Conceptis Puzzles website. I was just thinking as far as logic puzzles, all of them are covered in the Math & Logic except for the Logic Art. You might want to give them a try sometime. When I first saw them in an issue of British Logic problems I had no clue what to do, but once I tried them I was hooked! Thanks again! smile

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Math & Logic Problems "Collector's Editions"