Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Sudoku Scene » Crazy for Sudoku Favorites Collection

Sudoku fans, share your solving strategies, talk about the types and levels of Sudoku you like best and get help.
10/26/2012 12:52:30 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Did you check the site. I found a subscription for it:

****=http://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/product.aspx?c=sudokusubscriptions&p=DSM]http://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/product.aspx?c=sudokusubscriptions&p=DSM

Not sure if you can buy one at a time.
IN_Puzzler

Bernadette1959 wrote:
If anyone happens to see this particular puzzle magazine for sale anywhere, would you please come here and post to let me know where you saw it? Books-a-Million, CVS, etc.

I've been enjoying jigsaw sudoku lately and this magazine is supposed to include about 60 jigsaw sudoku puzzles, but I can't find it anywhere! I've seen every other Dell sudoku magazine title listed here on the site for sale somewhere except this one. At this point, I'd really just appreciate knowing that it really does exist and is not just a figment of my imagination. LOL

10/27/2012 9:13:23 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I was in the store this morning and looked for your book. Alas, I didn't see it. It was Kroger and although they have some good stuff (Masters, smaller sudokos) I wasn't expecting to see such a specialized book. The Meijer by me usually has the most varied selection- I'll keep an eye out.

IN_Puzzler

Bernadette1959 wrote:
If anyone happens to see this particular puzzle magazine for sale anywhere, would you please come here and post to let me know where you saw it? Books-a-Million, CVS, etc.

I've been enjoying jigsaw sudoku lately and this magazine is supposed to include about 60 jigsaw sudoku puzzles, but I can't find it anywhere! I've seen every other Dell sudoku magazine title listed here on the site for sale somewhere except this one. At this point, I'd really just appreciate knowing that it really does exist and is not just a figment of my imagination. LOL

edited by IN_Puzzler on 10/27/2012

1/17/2013 9:21:41 AM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
You asked for it and you've got it! KenKen puzzles are now in each issue of Crazy For Sudoku Favorites Collection. Included are 20 of these fan favorites in varying levels of difficulty. They share the spotlight with 56 Jigsaw Sudoku, 36 Sum-Doku puzzles, 20 Extremes, 20 Wordoku, 4 Challengers with 16 x 16 grids, and 16 "standard" Sudokus.

3/6/2014 9:00:29 PM

harbortick
harbortick
Dell Editorial Staff wrote:
You asked for it and you've got it! KenKen puzzles are now in each issue of Crazy For Sudoku Favorites Collection. Included are 20 of these fan favorites in varying levels of difficulty. They share the spotlight with 56 Jigsaw Sudoku, 36 Sum-Doku puzzles, 20 Extremes, 20 Wordoku, 4 Challengers with 16 x 16 grids, and 16 "standard" Sudokus.

After serching for close to a year I finally found a crazy for Sudoku Variety in King kullen but was disappointed (to say the least) when I realized my favorite game--Kakuro isn't in it. I enjoy all the games thats the most fun to solve. Are there any books out there with it???? thanks

3/7/2014 10:36:11 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
harbortick wrote:
After serching for close to a year I finally found a crazy for Sudoku Variety in King kullen but was disappointed (to say the least) when I realized my favorite game--Kakuro isn't in it. I enjoy all the games thats the most fun to solve. Are there any books out there with it???? thanks

Thanks for the question, harbortick! We like to call Kakuro "Cross Sums," and we love them! You can find approximately 24 Cross Sums in each issue of Dell Logic Lover's Math and Logic Problems (http://ow.ly/ulE5H), but since so many people love them like we do, we also created a special Dell Collector's Series magazine with nothing but Cross Sums (http://ow.ly/ulEII). These Collector's Series cannot be purchased at the newsstand-- just online, by phone or through the mail. You can get them as individual issues or as value packs.

Happy puzzling!
Admin

7/23/2015 12:40:11 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I picked up an issue of this publication and it has been my go-to for the past week. I love the variety aspect.

7/23/2015 5:36:57 PM

Josh
Josh
Indiana Puzzle Solver wrote:
I picked up an issue of this publication and it has been my go-to for the past week. I love the variety aspect.

This has long been one of my favorites as well; at one point it actually had some variety puzzles, and that was probably my favorite iteration, but even in its current form it was a lot of fun.

Have you checked out Will Shortz's Sudoku? Very similar breakdown of variety sudoku but with the addition of new variations that are hand constructed. Those have a different feel than the others and adds even more variety. More pages, too. I'm absolutely loving that title.

7/23/2015 6:23:24 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
No I haven't. I run hot or cold on Sudoku - right now I am running hot. My 13 year old daughter picked up a 5 star published in our Sunday paper and did it without much difficulty. It was pretty impressive. I am a Ken Ken junkie but I also enjoy cross sums, jigsaws and worduko.
I did pick up the Sudoku Spectacular when it was available in the store. I may crack that open next.
From reading your posts, sounds like you take mass transit for your commute - where are you, NYC, by chance? I am from the area originally (NJ, Maplewood / Colts Neck). I live in central IN now and it's car car car.
edited by Chris_INPuzzler on 7/23/2015

7/23/2015 11:27:44 PM

Josh
Josh
I did pick up the Sudoku Spectacular when it was available in the store. I may crack that open next.

Sudoku Spectacular features the same handcrafted variations as Will Shortz's Sudoku; in a way it was almost a dry run. So if you like it, you'll definitely be a fan of the magazine.

From reading your posts, sounds like you take mass transit for your commute - where are you, NYC, by chance? I am from the area originally (NJ, Maplewood / Colts Neck). I live in central IN now and it's car car car.

Indeed! I work in Manhattan and live in Stamford, Conn. (Penny Press headquarters, as I understand it, is a few minutes away. Even more coincidental, looking through back issues, I realized recently one of Dell's old office addresses was the same building my company had an office for a couple of years.) My walk to the train station takes me right by where they held the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament this year; I'm contemplating entering next year (it's returning there), even though I'm not a huge crossword guy, just for the experience of having participated in one.

For a couple of years I had jobs within Connecticut where I had lengthy commutes, but driving; while heading back and forth to New York can be a bit tiring, there's definitely a benefit to having the train time given back to do whatever - solve puzzles, read, nap, etc.

7/24/2015 12:18:30 AM

Frances
Frances
Josh wrote:

Indeed! I work in Manhattan and live in Stamford, Conn. (Penny Press headquarters, as I understand it, is a few minutes away. Even more coincidental, looking through back issues, I realized recently one of Dell's old office addresses was the same building my company had an office for a couple of years.) My walk to the train station takes me right by where they held the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament this year; I'm contemplating entering next year (it's returning there), even though I'm not a huge crossword guy, just for the experience of having participated in one.

Another coincidence: before Norwalk, Penny Press' address was in Stamford.

7/27/2015 6:54:25 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Thanks - amazing.

Bernadette1959 wrote:
Chris and Josh,

I thought you might get a kick out of this article. It looks like a good time was had by all! smile

http://www.ecns.cn/2015/07-27/174595.shtml

Bernadette

7/27/2015 10:54:19 PM

Josh
Josh
Bernadette1959 wrote:
Chris and Josh,

I thought you might get a kick out of this article. It looks like a good time was had by all! smile

http://www.ecns.cn/2015/07-27/174595.shtml

Bernadette

Cool! Particularly neat that they involved youth... it's good to encourage habits like puzzle solving early smile

10/27/2015 11:20:55 PM

Josh
Josh
No I haven't. I run hot or cold on Sudoku - right now I am running hot. My 13 year old daughter picked up a 5 star published in our Sunday paper and did it without much difficulty. It was pretty impressive. I am a Ken Ken junkie but I also enjoy cross sums, jigsaws and worduko.
edited by Chris_INPuzzler on 7/23/2015

Chris,

I just discovered Volume 2 of Sudoku Spectacular on a newsstand today; if you liked Vol 1 you'll find more of the same in Vol 2, although I'm a bit bummed that they pared back the Isodoku puzzle count in favor of a couple more Super Challengers (I like them but they're in ample enough supply elsewhere).

A note to the Penny Dell team - the print quality on the handcrafted puzzles' gray sections is drastically improved over volume 1 in my copy, but the Extreme Sudoku X's are incredibly faint. Unlike last year's batch, as long you pay attention it doesn't affect the ability to solve, but hopefully vol 3 can marry the best of both?

Thanks,

Josh

Home » Sudoku Scene » Crazy for Sudoku Favorites Collection