Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Talk Like An Egyptian Logic Puzzle

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
1/27/2013 7:42:23 PM

greengrass
greengrass
In this puzzle, you have to find the topic, number of slides, and landmark each professor used in their presentation about Egypt. The information is given as follows:
1. Dr. Badu isn't the professor who lectured on Egyptian mythology; her colleague, Dr. Aziz, isn't the Egyptologist whose lecture included slides of the Nile river.
2. There were more slides shown of the Great Sphinx than one of the landmark presented by Dr. Badu but fewer slides than of the site highlighted by the Egyptologist who lectured on the great rulers of Ancient Egypt.
3. Dr. Fadil showed more slides than Dr. Drakkar but at least two fewer slides than the professor who showed images of the glorious mosques of Cairo.
4. The Egyptologist whose lecture included pictures of the Great Pyramids showed exactly two more slides than did Dr. Drakkar.
5. Dr. Aziz, who expounded on the intricate architecture created by the Ancient Egyptians, presented fewer slides than the professor who lectured on the complexities of the Egyptian hieroglyphics.

All the information needed to solve is listed below
Professors: Dr. Aziz, Dr. Badu, Dr. Drakkar, Dr. Fadil, Dr. Siddig
Topics: Architecture, education, hieroglyphics, mythology, rulers
Slides (#): 15, 16, 18, 19, 20
Landmarks: Great Pyramids, Great Sphinx, Mosques, Nile River, Valley of the Kings

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

1/27/2013 8:04:10 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
DID THE M

--
Amy

1/27/2013 8:05:01 PM

greengrass
greengrass
Not helpful

1/27/2013 8:08:08 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Can't edit. Did the magazine give you a 5x4 grid to help solve the puzzle? If you think you need one, maybe you can download a 5x5 grid from the website and use only the columns you need. Or contact me and I can send you an Excel worksheet which I made, which has, among other things, 5x4. (I'm not sure, in fact, if I would use a "5x4" or a "4x5" so I might send you both, if you want.) Somehow it's easier for me to use a grid than not, even if the magazine doesn't give me a grid. Also, I often put the things with numbers, first. So I'd be putting the number of slides, as the first column of my grid, even if that's not the way the solution would read ultimately. Then I'd know who had so-and-so many more slides than so-and-so, or whatever.

--
Amy

1/27/2013 8:11:34 PM

greengrass
greengrass
Its not a problem with the puzzle, it does have a grid and all, I am just stumped on the answer. Usually puzzles aren't hard for me, but for this I am clueless.

1/27/2013 8:25:30 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I haven't tried to tackle this one, but have you put all the "more than ... less than" clues and the "exactly 2 more than" clue together to try to get part of an answer?

--
Amy

1/28/2013 9:55:15 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I made a grid, putting the numbers of slides as the main column, and I was able to solve the puzzle. How far have you gotten?

--
Amy

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Talk Like An Egyptian Logic Puzzle