Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » In The Long Run

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
2/1/2013 3:11:23 PM

pcpro215
pcpro215
Hello,

I thought I had the solution to this one, but it's wrong. Could someone please help me out?

Clues:

1] The documentary is exactly 30 minutes longer than the film Directed by Effie (which was ranked second) but exactly 30 minutes shorter than Welcome to America.
2] Kent directed the Historical drama. The animated adventure (which Clancy didn't direct) is the longest film.
3] Milo directed All the Kings Hens. The biography (which was ranked fifth) is exactly 30 minutes longer than the third-ranked film.
4] The running time of riannas fil, (which isn't Life is Pretty Darn Good) is 480 minutes. Clancy directed Natural Beauty. Dance of the Weevils wasn't ranked fourth.

Here is what I need to know:

1. The rank, director, running time, and genre of each particular film.

2. The films are: All the kings hens, dance of the weevils, life is pretty darn good, natural beauty, and welcome to america

3. The directors are: Clancy, Effie, Kent, Milo, and Rianna

4. The running times of the films are: 450, 480, 510, 540, and 570

5. The genres are: animated adventure, biography, documentary, epic fantasy, and historical drama

This is what I had; which isn't right (my ranks)
1. clancy directed natural beauty run time 450 mins genre documentary
2. effie directed life is pretty darn good run time 510 mins genre epic fantasy
3. kent directed welcome to america run time 540 mins genre historical
4. milo directed all the kings hens run time 570 mins genre animated
5. rianna directed dance of the weevils run time 480 mins genre biographical

Can someone please help me on this?

Thanks in advance for any help.
pcpro215
edited by pcpro215 on 2/1/2013

2/1/2013 5:33:04 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Uh oh. The first clue says the document is "exactly 30 minutes LONGER than" one thing "but exactly 30 minutes LONGER than" another thing. I suspect one of these phrases should be "SHORTER" -- but which is it? If you can fix it, and re-post, maybe we can help you.

--
Amy

2/1/2013 5:58:06 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Just thought of something else. It looks as though there are very few clues about the rankings. Did you leave off a sentence somewhere, or a 6th clue, or something like that?

--
Amy

2/1/2013 6:07:17 PM

Frances
Frances
I believe clue #1 should read "The documentary is . . . exactly 30 minutes shorter than Welcome to America." It's solvable that way.

2/1/2013 6:47:45 PM

pcpro215
pcpro215
Frances wrote:
I believe clue #1 should read "The documentary is . . . exactly 30 minutes shorter than Welcome to America." It's solvable that way.

Yes. You are correct.smile Maybe, that's why I couldn't get the right answer, huh? wink

Sorry for any confusion...
edited by pcpro215 on 2/1/2013

2/1/2013 6:50:33 PM

pcpro215
pcpro215
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
Just thought of something else. It looks as though there are very few clues about the rankings. Did you leave off a sentence somewhere, or a 6th clue, or something like that?

I just re-checked the clues; nothing is left off. Cool

2/2/2013 11:57:58 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I've now solved it, thanks to Frances's hint. Most of your answers have some part of it right, some part of it wrong. One of your ranks was absolutely perfect, at least according to the way I solved it (where you got the rank, director, film title, minutes, and genre all exactly as I got it).

The very first thing that you gave us as an answer, where there's a 450-minute film which is a documentary -- that definitely HAS to be wrong. Clue 1 tells us that the documentary is 30 minutes shorter than 1 thing, 30 minutes longer than another thing, so it can't possibly be the longest or shortest film. Yet your answer had it as the shortest film.

Maybe you should erase what you did, and start over. That might be the easiest way of fixing your wrong answers.

Let us know what you come up with after this, and/or if you still have problems.

--
Amy

2/3/2013 3:55:54 PM

pcpro215
pcpro215
This is what I could come up with so far:
Clancy, Natural Beauty, 570 mins, Biography, 5
Effie, Life Is...., Epic, 2
Kent, Welcome to... Historical
Milo, All the Kings... Animated
Rianna, Dance of.... Documentary

Could you maybe take me through your thought process, so I am more easily able to figure these out? What I have here took me over 2 weeks to get.

2/3/2013 9:27:21 PM

Frances
Frances
Clue 2 says animated is longest at 570 min. Determine who directed this 570-min. animated film

Not Effie (Clue 1) as two lasted longer
Not Kent (Clue 2) as he did historial drama
Not Clancy (Clue 2) as says not him
Not Rianna (Clue 4) as hers is 480 min.

Who does that leave? You'll see you already had this in the first answer you posted. But this explains my process to arrive at this fact.
edited by Frances on 2/3/2013

2/4/2013 2:26:50 PM

Frances
Frances
Next, determine how long Effie's film, the documentary, and "Welcome to America" are, as per Clue 1.

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » In The Long Run