Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Crostics

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
2/2/2013 3:51:13 PM

taylorppl
taylorppl
Crostic puzzles are a new challenge for me. In the PennyPress puzzle book I am using, there are several crostics. In the squares there are numbers that correspond to the letters in the clue words. Also, there is a letter in each square that does not seem to relate to anything. I have searched for information about these letters and have not found a single reference to them. While I don't seem to need them to solve the puzzles, I am very curious to know why they are in the squares.

2/2/2013 4:32:35 PM

Frances
Frances
The letter in the top right corner of each square refers to the letter of the clue where it's from. This is helpful if, while working the puzzle, you happen to recognize what word is being formed in the diagram. Say, you have a three-box word, with I, T, and a blank square, and you know it's going to be 'ITS'. And this 'S' you put in is going back upstairs to the word list where? #135 (left corner of square) in word C (right corner of square). Beats searching the whole list of words for #135. smile

Home » Variety Central » Crostics