Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » More Popular in England?

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
2/17/2013 6:30:47 PM

dougiezerts
dougiezerts
I seem to have noticed that logic problems are more popular in England than in the US. Is this true?
I've also noticed that British logics are a bit easier than US ones. They tend to have more "definate" clues--"Robert had the lamb main dish," for example.

2/17/2013 9:55:15 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I've noticed that the British logic puzzles have bigger grids, which makes it easier for me to work. Occasionally I've noticed some that I consider easier than the American puzzles because I see a redundant part of a clue. (Example: I've already figured out from, say, Clues 2 and 5, that Arnold is the Italian. Clue 8 might then say "Arnold, who is the Italian, plays the bagpipes.") It doesn't happen often, but occasionally it does, on British puzzles. I don't think I've ever seen a US puzzle with redundant clues.

I don't know if the British puzzles are more popular than the US puzzles or not, but I've certainly enjoyed the few British magazines I've gotten in one of the big "package deals" (where I got 28 assorted puzzle books for one low price, the other year -- and I'm still working my way thru that pile).

--
Amy

2/18/2013 9:13:24 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I've noticed that the British Logic Problems are easier too. As for if logic problems are more popular in England I have no idea. I do know that I'm glad they are popular enough in the U.S that it's easy to get some of my favorite puzzles! smile

2/19/2013 12:05:13 AM

Frances
Frances
Original Logic Problems, British Edition, is one of my favorite magazines. I find these easier British logics entertaining and relaxing. I'm probably in the minority, but I'd rather not have sudoku and logic art puzzles in the magazine.

2/19/2013 8:08:23 PM

dougiezerts
dougiezerts
I've never gotten into sudoku, either!

2/19/2013 8:08:58 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I skip the Sudoku and logic art. I'm with you, Frances.

--
Amy

2/20/2013 3:29:46 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
The Sudoku I could take it or leave it (I enjoy the vartiations a lot more), but I really enjoy the Logic Art. I wish they would include some Logic Art in the Math & Logic magazine!

2/21/2013 4:18:46 PM

Frances
Frances
Logic art puzzles are pretty popular. I remember here on the forum in the past its fans asking for more of them. I was looking at some magazines I have from a couple of years ago, when I bought a box of Dell math & logic magazines since they're frequently mentioned on the forum but not sold where I buy my other puzzle magazines. I wanted to see what they were like. I see that most of the Logic Lover's Logic Problems and Logic Lover's Sudoku & Logic Problems had 2 logic art puzzles included---- but not so in the Logic Lover's Math & Logic Problems. And while I usually don't buy Penny Press Original Logic Problems either (the last third or so of the puzzles are too hard for my taste), even the one I happen to have has 2 logic art puzzles in it. You'd think with M&LP's variety, logic art (it does use logic and have numbers) would fit right in!

12/23/2013 7:58:59 PM

Wagashigrrl
Wagashigrrl
I'm a logic fan and I think the format of logic puzzles in the magazines are pretty efficient.

I also enjoy Sudoku but really dislike doing it on paper. I usually play the software versions. The more difficult the Sudoku is, the more likely I'm going to make a mess out of paper and then just give up--so I tend to prefer electronic Sudoku.

I enjoyed this discussion on the English logics. It inspired me to buy the box of 14
https://www.pennydellpuzzles.com/product.aspx?c=logicmathvaluepacks&p=ELVP14

--
WG
* A child of five could understand this!
Fetch me a child of five. ― Groucho Marx

4/29/2015 9:49:37 PM

gonza41
gonza41
brush garden problem

4/29/2015 10:54:22 PM

Frances
Frances
gonza41 wrote:
brush garden problem

Are you having a problem with your brush garden? Or are you mentioning a logic problem entitled "Brush Garden"? In either case, could you expand a bit on things?

P.S. The homepage listed on your profile makes me nervous. Wouldn't click on that for anything . . . .

11/18/2015 10:10:55 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I just remembered something else I really like about the British logic magazines. Very often, they have little lists of all the items, when they don't provide a grid. For example, they'll have "First names: Amy, Barry, Charles, Danny, Evelyn" and "Last Names: Anderson, Kanacki, Levin, McManus, Peterson." You don't have to go hunting thru all the text to figure out what the 5 first names are that you're looking for, or the 5 last names, etc. But in the US magazines, sometimes you have to hunt thru like crazy just to know what all the names are.

--
Amy

11/19/2015 11:47:07 AM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I know what you mean about having to hunt for the names Amy! When I'm doing a table-style logic problem often I'll do a quick scan through the clues to list the names/subjects used in solving the puzzle.

This may seem weird, but I find the grid puzzles that are made up of squares more pleasing to work on, as opposed to the rectangles that are used in the Penny Press Original Logic Problems. The funny thing is I have a subscription to PP's OLP! I'm almost due to renew my subscription, maybe I should switch over to Dell's Logic Lover's Logic Problems for a change.

11/19/2015 11:59:21 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Purple Pisces wrote:
I know what you mean about having to hunt for the names Amy! When I'm doing a table-style logic problem often I'll do a quick scan through the clues to list the names/subjects used in solving the puzzle.

This may seem weird, but I find the grid puzzles that are made up of squares more pleasing to work on, as opposed to the rectangles that are used in the Penny Press Original Logic Problems. The funny thing is I have a subscription to PP's OLP! I'm almost due to renew my subscription, maybe I should switch over to Dell's Logic Lover's Logic Problems for a change.

I used to have a Dell subscription, and then I got so far behind that I let it lapse. One of these years when I finish all my "oldies but goodies" that I got from various promotions, I'll re-subscribe to Dell (and possibly ALSO to the British one that Penny/Dell might have as a sub now). I've always liked the Dell puzzles in the Logic Lover's Logic Problems.

--
Amy

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » More Popular in England?