Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Sudoku Scene » Hard Sudoku Puzzles

Sudoku fans, share your solving strategies, talk about the types and levels of Sudoku you like best and get help.
3/5/2013 9:44:00 PM

vince
vince
i mastered the easy and medium sudoku puzzles but it's the hard one's i can't figure out. can someone tell me any tricks to getting these hard ones solved? help please!

4/17/2013 10:47:08 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
What techniques do you employ? I usually get tripped up on the medium and hard puzzles that are in print since I don't fill every possibility into all the blank spots and I think this causes my to make a false conclusion about the answer to a blank cell. Typically, I scan and fill in the possibilities, but I usually get through to the end of mediums and hard then realize I've got contradictory cells and no way to solve except starting over.

Using online tools makes filling in all possibilities easier. Then the use of elimination of answers is the process I use. Adding all the possibilities into the small grids is difficult. I've tried using the "dot technique" but for whatever reason I need to see the actual numbers.

I'm curious to hear from folks who solve higher levels on paper/pencil what approaches they take to organize their results and solve. Perhaps this could spark some conversation here.

5/26/2013 7:00:28 AM

teedpi7
teedpi7
I find that there is not enough room in boxes for all possibilities also. I too have tried using symbols instead of numbers but lose value somehow in the excitement of solving. First I try looking for solid leads by looking thru the rows of boxes and then the columns. If I find a lead (2 numbers the same) , I put a mark over them (-) to tell me I have used them to seek a third number in that row of boxes. After doing this in all the rows of boxes I do the downs and use a(\) beside the number. Now, I look for a "key" ( any single row , column ,or box with 4 or less squares with no solid numbers in them). Any box with 3 solid numbers in a row or column is a good key. Any matched set of pairs is a great key. Any matched trio is a good key. Finally I check the clues I have entered one more time before going on to the final "filling" the boxes with all remaining possibilities. I like to start in the middle box or the corners from there it is all drudge work till every box has all "possibles" in them. You know the drill.

9/24/2013 1:43:03 PM

RobertIngle
RobertIngle
I once saw "Dell Hard Sudoku" at a local grocery store, bought it, and solved EVERY puzzle in it. I've not seen it since. What happened to it?

9/25/2013 11:27:34 AM

admin
admin
Administrator
RobertIngle wrote:
I once saw "Dell Hard Sudoku" at a local grocery store, bought it, and solved EVERY puzzle in it. I've not seen it since. What happened to it?

Thanks for your question, Robert! Unfortunately, we're no longer publishing Dell Hard Sudoku. However, you may want to try Dell Original Extreme Sudoku, which has a large number of Hard and Challenger puzzles you might find equally enjoyable. Check out this link to see the description and subscription availability: http://ow.ly/pcDBa.

Happy puzzling!
Admin

3/14/2014 12:53:05 PM

dumbbird
dumbbird
I need with solving Sudoku #302 located in dell Sudoku for you magazine. I have tried everything I know. now will help me. harold

3/14/2014 12:55:35 PM

dumbbird
dumbbird
dumbbird wrote:
I need with solving Sudoku #302 located in dell Sudoku for you magazine. I have tried everything I know. now will help me. harold

7/20/2014 10:19:51 AM

Peachie
Peachie
Chris the Indiana Puzzler wrote:
What techniques do you employ? I usually get tripped up on the medium and hard puzzles that are in print since I don't fill every possibility into all the blank spots and I think this causes my to make a false conclusion about the answer to a blank cell. Typically, I scan and fill in the possibilities, but I usually get through to the end of mediums and hard then realize I've got contradictory cells and no way to solve except starting over.

Using online tools makes filling in all possibilities easier. Then the use of elimination of answers is the process I use. Adding all the possibilities into the small grids is difficult. I've tried using the "dot technique" but for whatever reason I need to see the actual numbers.

I'm curious to hear from folks who solve higher levels on paper/pencil what approaches they take to organize their results and solve. Perhaps this could spark some conversation here.

Home » Sudoku Scene » Hard Sudoku Puzzles