Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » "The Players"

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
3/7/2013 7:51:55 PM

Frances
Frances
I just finished #79 "The Players" on page 91 of Original Logic Problems British Edition, Spring 2013. Clue 2 reads, in part:

"Franklin Francom is immediately to the right of the dairyman . . . and immediately left of Daniel Dugsbury; these three are seated in the front row, as is the farm labourer."

Would it be logical to assume the farm labourer is neither Franklin nor Daniel? If you've yet to work this puzzle, don't assume it when you do. upset

3/8/2013 9:20:48 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
It certainly sounds to me as if 4 of the people in the front row are the farm labourer, Franklin, Daniel, and the dairyman. But I suppose the wording "...as is the farm labourer" merely means that the farm labourer is in the front row, and you also know Franklin, Daniel and the dairyman are in the front row, but maybe the farm labourer isn't ruled out of being Franklin or Daniel after all. My first assumption would have been the F.L. isn't Franklin or Daniel, but I guess it's possible he is. So thanks for the warning, Frances -- not that I get a subscription to current British logic puzzles, so I probably won't run into this puzzle (unless it's a repeat of one of the old ones I still have around from the big 28-magazine deal of last year or the year before, whenever it was).
edited by Amy-in-PA on 3/8/2013
edited by Amy-in-PA on 6/8/2016

--
Amy

6/8/2016 9:06:38 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Here it is, a couple of years later, and I got to that same puzzle in that same magazine, which I think came with a group of "old British logic magazines" that were on sale. I had the same thought as you originally had, Frances, that there must be 4 different people in the front row between Franklin Francom, the dairyman, Daniel Dugsbury, and the farm "labourer" (as the British spell that word which we Americans spell "laborer").

I wish they had worded the clue something like "Franklin Francom is immediately to the right of the dairyman ... and immediately left of Daniel Dugsbury. These 3 are seated in the front row. The farm labourer is in the front row." Had they done that, the farm labourer would NOT be ruled out of being Franklin or Daniel.

By this time, I had forgotten that this post existed to warn me about the wording of that clue in this puzzle! So that's why I had the same problem you originally had. And in all this time, nobody from Penny has explained why their wording might be OK, or whether we found a mistake indeed.
edited by Amy-in-PA on 6/8/2016

--
Amy

6/9/2016 7:48:06 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
I hope all is well with Frances. I've had to be away from the Forum for certain periods of time myself, so I hope she is just busy but otherwise fine. I remembered at one point she was having problems with her computer. Maybe she'll be back soon! smile

6/9/2016 10:38:13 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Writing of people we haven't heard from in a while, I hope Cream Cheese is all right. We used to hear from her all the time, but haven't in several months. I know she moved at one point, but I hope that doesn't mean she's computer-less or something like that.

--
Amy

6/9/2016 5:33:41 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
That's true! It's been a while for her as well!

6/13/2016 4:02:09 PM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
Writing of people we haven't heard from in a while, I hope Cream Cheese is all right. We used to hear from her all the time, but haven't in several months. I know she moved at one point, but I hope that doesn't mean she's computer-less or something like that.

Amy, I noticed that Cream Cheese logged in here on June 10, just a few days ago, so she is still around and hopefully doing fine! smile

6/13/2016 5:51:32 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Oh, there was a free Word Games Puzzle on the 10th, so our friend probably logged on for that. Hi, CC, if you're reading this.

--
Amy

6/13/2016 10:36:11 PM

Josh
Josh
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
Oh, there was a free Word Games Puzzle on the 10th, so our friend probably logged on for that. Hi, CC, if you're reading this.

The latest Masters Variety Puzzles also features 12 Word Games Puzzles. I was a bit excited when I saw that!

6/14/2016 8:32:37 AM

Bernadette1959
Bernadette1959
Thanks for mentioning this, Josh! I will be on the lookout for it! smile

Bernadette

Home » Logic Problem Exchange » "The Players"