Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Problem 9 -- Undetermable gender names

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
3/21/2013 4:08:44 PM

wa4lrm
wa4lrm
The May 1013 of LLM&LP on page 36 title "I Swear" names are not determinable whether it is man or woman. HUlda is the only name to be woman and rest is not. Only Bond is resident for man. If Dell Logic Puzzle give gender for names in Introduction, I don't know why LLM&LP don't. Since there is no way you can determine gender of those names, I'm considering this puzzle unsolvable. I hope Jean Rowell would rewrite this Logic Problems by using common well known US names and possibly change immigrants to those US citizens working at other countries and coming back home.

3/21/2013 9:24:49 PM

Frances
Frances
Would you mind posting those names so we can see them? Is it that the puzzle can't be solved without knowing the genders?

3/21/2013 11:41:34 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I've occasionally seen puzzles where they say that determining the gender is part of the puzzle. They'll give you 4 'known" female names, say, and 4 "known" male names, and 2 people who could be either/or (such as Dana and Pat). Maybe they'll tell you there are 5 men and 5 women but it's up to you to figure out who Dana is and who Pat is, which eventually you can do from the clues.

--
Amy

3/22/2013 11:14:00 AM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I've solved a few puzzles myself where the names, and trying to determine whether they were male or female, have stumped me.

3/22/2013 9:48:56 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Is that actually part of figuring out the puzzle? I mean, do they do it on purpose to make the puzzle a little more difficult? I can't see them making this mistake over and over if indeed it is a mistake. CC

3/23/2013 11:26:49 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
They do indeed make some of these puzzles harder, but purposely putting in "ambiguous" names and saying that part of the puzzle is to figure out who's male and who's female.

--
Amy

3/24/2013 12:40:16 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
They do indeed make some of these puzzles harder, but purposely putting in "ambiguous" names and saying that part of the puzzle is to figure out who's male and who's female.

Yes, sounds odd to me but I've seen some odd things in these mags over 40 years. CC

3/24/2013 1:40:27 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I look at it as an added challenge. I remember doing a table logic puzzle (without the grid) where I was careful not to make assumptions about first and last names because some seemed like they could have been either.

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Problem 9 -- Undetermable gender names