Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Figure Logic Problem #4 - Official Variety Puzzles

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
5/18/2013 12:17:20 PM

Kettlingur
Kettlingur
I am wondering about this problem as two of the "given" clues don't make sense to me.
IF the person who bought the bureau paid more than the painting (clue 1), then why are the two most expensive items bought (clue 3) are the painting and the chair?

Either Dell made a mistake, or something among those three equals $500. Someone mind helping me make sense out of this puzzle?

5/18/2013 9:34:16 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I don't think I have that issue, so I can't see the wording of the problem, but if you've worded your post right, it surely does sound as if Dell goofed somewhere along the lines. I hope the editors can straighten this out.

--
Amy

5/19/2013 5:19:49 PM

Kettlingur
Kettlingur
Oops! This one is out of the latest issue - July 2013. Should I make a post in the appropriate forum?

5/20/2013 10:18:30 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
A lot of us read all the forums, so it may not matter too much. There is a forum about pointing out possible errors, so if you want to re-post, that would be a perfect place to put it.

--
Amy

5/20/2013 12:10:05 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi Kettlingur,

Clue 3: The two who paid for the painting and the chair paid more than $500.

This is ambiguous because it actually means the total of the painting plus the chair is more than $500, not each item was more than $500. They could have added at the clue's end "....in total." It's not clear at all, and could easily mean either way.

Frances.

5/20/2013 12:22:48 PM

Frances
Frances
For those who would like to play along, here is Logic Problem 4, "Estate Sale", page 82 of Dell's Official Variety Puzzles, July 2013:
Sutherby's Auction House recently held an estate sale of various items. Harold and four other people attended and each purchased a different article. The amount paid by each person is evenly divisible by one hundred and no two paid the same amount of money. Each person bought his or her item at a different time. From this information and the clues below, can you determine each person's purchase and the amound paid, as well as the order in which the articles were purchased?
-----------
People: Arlene, Barbara, Edgar, Gino, Harold.
Items: Bureau, Chair, Lamp, Painting, Wine.
Order: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth.
Amounts: Not given
-----------
1. The person who bought the bureau paid more than than the one who purchased the painting.
2. Barbara (who paid more than $500) made her purchase sometime after the one who bought the painting.
3. The two who paid for the painting and the chair paid more than $500. [Added together!]
4. Edgar (who didn't make the first purchase) paid the highest amount, which was under $800.
5. What was purchased after Barbara's purchase totaled $400.
6. The one who bought the bottle of wine paid twice as much as and bought his or her article sometime before the one who bought the lamp.
7. The person who bought the chair made his or her purchase sometime before Arlene and sometime after Gino.
---------

5/20/2013 8:51:30 PM

Frances
Frances
I solved the puzzle, but only after I got the dollar amounts to enter into the grid. These logics that don't provide numbers, requiring you to figure them out give me a lot of trouble, and I usually have to go to the back and get them! Plus, Dell logics are, in general, harder than Penny for me.

5/21/2013 9:59:19 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I'm sending you a private message, Frances, with my solution, just in case I'm wrong and you can set me straight. Thanks for posting this puzzle.

--
Amy

5/30/2013 3:12:03 PM

Michelle Franck
Michelle Franck
Ok..new to the forum, and have always been able to solve Logic Problems, although it does take hours to do so sometimes, I am able to solve them. Logic Problem #4 out of the July 2013 variety puzzles has me stumped.

Out of the #5 Clue, does anybody understand how they get to the point that edgar made his purchase before Barbara?

Even after I read that part, I can't find how they come to that conclusion. I haven't looked at the answers. Still would like to solve it. Just can't move on till I find out what I am missing here. #5 Clue reads: What was purchased after Barbara's purchase totaled $400. Nothing about Edgar here..... lol

5/30/2013 3:56:33 PM

Frances
Frances
Hi Michelle,

Clue 4 says Edgar is highest, but under $800. All amounts are in hundreds (intro). So, we have 5 purchases to be selected from these amounts: $100, $200, $300, $400, $500, $600, and $700.

Edgar must be $500, $600, or $700 to allow 4 others to be less. (All of these options for Edgar are over $400.)

He can't be after Barbara, because all after Barbara = $400 (Clue 5), and Edgar alone is over $400. So he must be before Barbara.

Hope I've helped.

Frances.
edited by Frances on 5/30/2013

5/30/2013 4:15:38 PM

Michelle Franck
Michelle Franck
Thank you Frances! I appreciate the quick response. Now I have to go over what you wrote and take it in. I felt as though I had been close to what I just read, just couldn't grasp where my mind took off to. lol Thank you again!

Michelle

5/30/2013 4:22:31 PM

Michelle Franck
Michelle Franck
Ok. Got it. ALL purchases after Barbara totaled $400. The play on words got me. I took it as "The purchase made after Barbara's was $400"

Thank you very much, again!

5/30/2013 4:42:32 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
If there had been only one purchase made after Barbara's, indeed it would have been a $400 purchase. Otherwise, the combined total of a couple of purchases made after Barbara's, was $400. Either way, Edgar, being the guy who paid the most money -- more than $400 for sure, couldn't have been after Barbara.

--
Amy

5/30/2013 6:06:34 PM

Michelle Franck
Michelle Franck
SOLVED! I appreciate the guidance! It has been a few years (like 6 at the least) since I picked up one of these books. It is nice to work your brain once in awhile. smile

Just saw your message Amy....Thanks! Wow talk about quick responses. You two are great!
edited by micki on 5/30/2013

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Figure Logic Problem #4 - Official Variety Puzzles