Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » Cross Sums Variation

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
5/21/2013 6:35:28 PM

Frances
Frances
I came across a new version of Cross Sums called Cross Sums Variation in Dell Official Variety, July 2013. Some of the sums are left out! It was harder than the regular Cross Sums, and at first I didn't see how I'd be able to solve the 2 that were on the page. I did, though, and enjoyed the challenge. This variation was discussed in the letter section, "Pencil Notes", and it was mentioned that there would be a couple included in Logic Lover's Math & Logic Problems. It would be nice to have some of these Variations, and the larger Cross Sums Challenger in the Collector's Series books of Cross Sums.

5/23/2013 5:02:29 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I've noticed that the last few issues of Math & Logic Problems has included some Cross Sums Variations but I have yet to come across the one you described Frances. Sounds challenging. I've seen two different variations, in one the digit "0" is also used. The second one is a bit complicated. If the total number of cells in a group is odd, that number (number of cells) is one of the numbers for the answer. If the total number of cells is even, that number is not used in the answer. Haven't tried the second variation yet, my mind has to be focused to try that one.

6/18/2013 11:37:11 AM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Came across another variation called Cross Products. The numbers given in the puzzle represent the product of the cells instead of the sum. You use the numbers 1-9 and can use the same digit repeatedly within the same cell except the number 1, only being able to use it once. For example one cell I solved for was 8 and contained four cells (2,2,2,1). I haven't finished the puzzle yet, so I haven't been able to see if I'm correct, but this variation is my favorite. It reminds me a little of KenKen because I find myself using some of the same techniques, especially when trying to place a "5" in the puzzle.

These variations are a lot of fun, but they definitely make you slow down and make sure you're following the "new" rules of that particular puzzle.

6/18/2013 1:39:49 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
So which do you think are easier? Sums or products? I find in KenKen products (and quotients, for that matter) are a bit easier to deduce since they are a bit more limited in the possible combinations that emerge as the puzzle is solved. They are all fun either way!

6/18/2013 8:11:42 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
It's hard to say Chris. I am more accustomed to sums and know certain number combinations by heart, but do agree that it's sometimes easier to rule out certain numbers when working with products. I think the hardest thing is getting used to being able to put repeat digits in the same cell.

6/24/2013 11:42:01 AM

Frances
Frances
I picked up Dell Official All-Time Favorite Variety Puzzles, August 2013 and tried the Cross Products puzzle it had. I really enjoyed it. I wonder how many of these variations are floating around out there? It would be better maybe if they each had their own name, like Cross Products, instead of just "Variations." The other three we've seen so far might be called "Missing Sums", "Zero In", and "Odds and Evens", or something of the sort. But whatever they're called, here's hoping we see more of them. smile

6/24/2013 2:13:42 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Frances wrote:
But whatever they're called, here's hoping we see more of them. smile

I agree, I've really been enjoying the variations too Frances! I asked on Penny/Dell's Face Book page if there are any volumes of the Cross Sums Collector's Series that contain the variations and they replied back saying not yet, but if there's enough buzz we may be seeing some in a future volume. I just replied back I would love to see a whole volume of just the variations. smile

6/26/2013 2:21:06 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I've noticed 2 more varieties while looking through my magazine the other night. In one, the cage of numbers will all have one repeat digit. For example I saw a cage for "5" with three digits. So the answer could be (2,2,1) or (1,1,3).

The second variation my memory is a little fuzzy on, I'll have to look for it again. It was something to the effect that no two squares that touch diagonally can contain the same digit.

So looking back over our posts, that's at least 6 different variations, very cool!! smile Forgot to add that I like your suggestions for naming the different puzzles Frances.
edited by Purple Pisces on 6/26/2013

6/26/2013 3:00:26 PM

Frances
Frances
How interesting! Kudos to the folks coming up with these variations. The first in your last post could be "Double Dipping" and the second "Touch-Me-Not." I hope the variations will eventually turn up in the Collector's Series of Cross Sums. Any other Cross Sums fans who agree might want to drop a line to the Editors. (I did!)

6/27/2013 1:53:36 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces wrote:
The second variation my memory is a little fuzzy on, I'll have to look for it again. It was something to the effect that no two squares that touch diagonally can contain the same digit.

Well I certainly was right about the fuzzy memory! LOL! I found the puzzle and was way off on the description. The actual rules are that no two vertically or horizontally adjacent squares can contain consecutive digits. Don't ask me how I got that first description. It has been a REALLY tough year for me and my family and I was tired when I first looked at the puzzle so my mind gets a little scattered from time to time. But that still makes six varieties that we know of, and who knows how many more! smile
edited by Purple Pisces on 6/27/2013

6/27/2013 4:34:53 PM

Frances
Frances
Well, you had the something 'can't be touching' something else right! smile This version sounds fun, too! Thanks for looking it up. If anyone comes across other variations of Cross Sums, how about posting a description here?

7/12/2013 12:30:45 PM

Frances
Frances
Looking through some back issues of Dell Variety magazines from the mid-1990's, I came across 2 other variations:

1. One required every entry to contain a 4; another puzzle a 5 was in each.
2. Any entry could contain repeated digits, but not in horizontally or vertically adjacent squares.

Seems like Cross Sums variations have been around for awhile, but I had no memory of them. (And I had solved some of them back then!)
edited by Frances on 7/12/2013

7/13/2013 3:22:17 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I had no idea these puzzles went back that far! I had assumed the puzzles I'm seeing in Dell's Logic and Math are reprints because the issues lately have been Collector's Issue and that's what I know Collector's Issues to be, reprints.

When I asked Penny Dell on FaceBook if these puzzles are in any of the Cross Sums Collector's Series, this was the reply I got:

"Thanks for the question! We're so glad you're enjoying the Cross Sums Variations. These puzzles, including Cross Products, are still relatively new, so we don't yet have any Collector's Series volumes that contain them. However, if you like them and we keep hearing buzz about them, it probably won't be long until we can put them in a new volume!"

New or not I like them and hope we continue seeing them! smile

edited by Purple Pisces on 7/13/2013

Home » Variety Central » Cross Sums Variation