Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Sudoku Scene » Recommending a book

Sudoku fans, share your solving strategies, talk about the types and levels of Sudoku you like best and get help.
6/30/2013 2:02:02 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Just checked it out real quick on Amazon and it has a pretty high rating. I've always wanted to learn some of the advanced techniques and this seems like a great way of doing it. I like that they give you a sample puzzle to help learn the technique. Sounds like a much better way of learning than just reading about it online. Thanks so much for posting Bernadette!! smile
edited by Purple Pisces on 6/30/2013

7/1/2013 7:57:57 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Me too. Sounds like an excellent way to break through with some techniques.

7/2/2013 8:53:42 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Just ordered the book from my local book store. I have so many puzzle books already but was able to justify it because it's a book of strategies and techniques and not just puzzles! smile

7/3/2013 12:35:45 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Bernadette I have a few puzzle books from a guy named DJ Ape and he has a new book of 16x16 puzzles where both numbers and letters are used, though it looks like in his book the letters A-F are used.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1490326898/?tag=thehomeofperf-20#_

I don't have this book but have a few of his others and what I like about his puzzles are that he offers a nice variety of variations.

7/3/2013 12:42:22 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Here's the link to DJ Ape's Face book page if you're interested.

https://www.facebook.com/sudokuvariants?ref=ts&fref=ts

Sometimes he offers free puzzles and will post about new books, which is how I learned about the 16x16 book.
edited by Purple Pisces on 7/3/2013

7/3/2013 2:08:48 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Purple: I suspect the letters A to F are simply because he's trying to use a "16-bit"
something-or-other, so it's the numbers 0 to 9, and the letters A to F.

--
Amy

7/3/2013 9:05:39 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
Purple: I suspect the letters A to F are simply because he's trying to use a "16-bit"
something-or-other, so it's the numbers 0 to 9, and the letters A to F.

I just meant that Penny/Dell used ABC, XYZ and another puzzle maker used A-F. Just found the difference interesting.

You're welcome Bernadette!

7/4/2013 11:18:51 AM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I've never seen a name accompany a sudoku challenger or regular sized sudoku either Bernadette.

The spell check on my web browser is trying to tell me that "sudoku" is spelled incorrectly! LOL!

7/11/2013 3:51:47 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Just picked up "Mastering Sudoku" the other day and have solved the first few puzzles. I was already using the techniques described in the very beginning of the book, so when solving those first puzzles I wasn't following the "rules" of searching box by box top to bottom left to right, I just went with where my eyes could see a good lead. Right now I'm at the part about virtual crosshatching. This is where I'll slow my pace a little and pay more attention to the correct methods of using these techniques. Getting into the "meat and potatoes" of the book now! smile

I want to thank you again Bernadette for suggesting this book!! I'm really enjoying it, and love that it is more than just another puzzle book. It has some really great info in it. I enjoyed the introduction about the beginnings of Sudoku.
edited by Purple Pisces on 7/11/2013

7/12/2013 8:16:13 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I'm glad you're enjoying it Bernadette!! smile I don't have that book but do own a few others, including a Killer Samurai Sudoku book, and really like the variations of puzzles that he offers.

7/29/2015 11:21:06 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Where is the original post for this thread? I was looking for a skill builder for sudoku but at the local store all the books are just puzzled of different levels. I was looking for something to work through to build up the techniques.

7/29/2015 12:09:14 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
That's weird, I don't know where the original post went! This is a link to the Sudoku book Bernadette and I were talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Sudoku-Week-Becoming-Wizard/dp/1844834050

If you're looking for a book to build up your skill I think you'll enjoy this book.

7/31/2015 12:20:58 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Purple Pisces wrote:
That's weird, I don't know where the original post went! This is a link to the Sudoku book Bernadette and I were talking about: http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Sudoku-Week-Becoming-Wizard/dp/1844834050

If you're looking for a book to build up your skill I think you'll enjoy this book.

Thanks for reposting. It must be out of print because it is $50.

7/31/2015 4:31:49 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
If they could do one of those "print on demand" things, that would solve a lot of problems, wouldn't it?

--
Amy

8/3/2015 3:13:33 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I actually found a pretty good website learn-sudoko. It has some good pointers for solving that I was able to apply pretty quickly to solving the 6 star puzzle in my Saturday newspaper. One of the more interesting tips was to envision the puzzle as the graphic of the opening credits for "The Brady Bunch" tv show and this of each 9x9 box as as corresponding to the setup of characters on the tv show.

8/4/2015 1:33:09 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I didn't even notice the price when I posted the link! I'm glad you found something helpful online.

8/12/2015 10:28:28 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I found a pretty good book -

http://www.amazon.com/Puzzlewright-Guide-Solving-Sudoku-Techniques/dp/1402799454/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439389606&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=Puzzlewright+press+guide+to+sudoku

Home » Sudoku Scene » Recommending a book