Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Word Seek Corner » A rose by any other name . . . .

Solvers helping solvers.
7/12/2013 2:00:27 PM

Frances
Frances
Some trivia:

The modern word search was invented around 1960 by the Spanish puzzlemaker Pedro Ocon de Oro, and called "Sopa de Letras" ("Soup of Letters"). The first English version was created (probably independently of Ocon de Oro) by Norman E. Gibat and published in March 1968 in Norman, Oklahoma in a small classified-listings newspaper. Teachers began using the puzzles in classrooms, and their popularity spread.

Word search(es) in some other languages: Woordsoek-raaisels (Afrikaans), Woordzoeker (Dutch), Sanaverkko (Finnish), Mots Caches (French), Worterraten (German), and Sokord (Swedish).

In English, word searches have been published under many names: Circle-A-Word, Circle Circle, Circle It, Discover A Word, Find & Circle, Find the Word, Hidden Word, Loop-A-Word (early Penny Press), Ring-A-Word, Search A Word, Search 'N Circle, Seek-A-Word, Spot & Circle, Word Circle, Word Find, Word Grid, Word Locator, Word Search, Word Seek, Word Sleuth, and Word Square. (Fans of a certain Penny/Dell competitor will recognize some of these.)

There are many variations on the standard word search, and here are those that I've seen in the pages of Penny Press magazines: Add-A-Letter, Additions, Alphabetics, Around the Bend, Bends and Turns, Bible Quote, Borderline, Boxes, By Another Name, Circular, Code Seek, Create Your Words, Cross Pairs, Cross Words, Drummerman, The End, Find the Answer, Get-A-Letter, Heads & Tails, Here and There, Hidden Crosswords, How Many?, Letterboxes, License Plates, Link-Ups, Loop-A-Crostic, Lost Letters, Magic Square, Match Words, Missing Letters, Missing List, Missing Vowels, Mystery City/Country/People/Person/State, Number Cube, Number Seek, One and Only, Patchwords, Pathfinder, Plus a Letter, Poet's Corner, Puzzle Twins, Quotable, Quotables, Recipe Time, Rhymes, Say What?, Scrambled, Searchword, Secret Message, Shaded Picture, Solve & Seek, Square Nines, Start to Change, Start to Finish, Three from Five, Time Machine, Timed, Title Search, Triangle, TV Teaser, Two for One, V-Words, Wizard Words, Word Parts, Word Seek Crossword, Wordsearch, and Zigzag. Whew!

7/12/2013 3:27:43 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
You forgot the favorite in our house... Wheel of Fortune Work Seek. It's amazing how many variations are found in a puzzle where the object is to seek and find. I am enjoying the zigzags in some of my variety mags these days.

7/12/2013 4:18:50 PM

Frances
Frances
Chris_INPUZZLER wrote:
You forgot the favorite in our house... Wheel of Fortune Work Seek.

I sure did! It was on my list, but somehow got skipped over when I alphabetized it. And with a whole magazine full of them, too! smile Any Penny Press word seek fans know of other variations?

Home » Word Seek Corner » A rose by any other name . . . .