Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Lover's Logic Problems April 2013 edition

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
7/27/2013 12:18:42 AM

khroochang
khroochang
In "Spring Break Reading" on page 41, clue #3 is:
"3. Chandler didn't read an author whose works had to be translated to English (who wasn't read by the one surnamed Tomlin)."
The solution reveals that Chandler and Tomlin are the same person; Chandler Tomlin. Now I don't know about you, but that clue suggests two different people, one whose first name is Chandler who doesn't read the untranslated works, and ANOTHER called Tomlin who didn't read the untranslated works. Yes, yes, I am very aware that it can also, in a slightly warped universe, also mean Chandler and Tomlin are the same person, but I think you are being sneaky and just a little unfair.

7/28/2013 10:35:44 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Hi, Chang, and welcome to the forum. Whenever I see clues of the type you mention, I make NO ASSUMPTIONS about the first person mentioned being, or not being, the same as the 2nd person mentioned. I've seen too many puzzles where phrases like that are thrown in. So when I was solving this puzzle the other month, I took it that Chandler didn't read untranslated works, and that Tomlin didn't read untranslated works, but that was as far as I took it with putting "X's" into squares.

Only if the clue had read "Chandler, whose surname isn't Tomlin, ..." or if it had read "The one surnamed Tomlin, who isn't Chandler, ..." -- only THEN would I have felt comfortable putting an X in the square which puts the first name Chandler with the last name Tomlin.

My feeling is that if the clue doesn't specifically say something, I'd better not assume something, just because it might be "logical" to assume it.

There have even been times when one of the clues refers to a cake, for example, and another clue refers to the expression "That takes the cake." In the real world, I'd think these two had to do with each other because it would be so perfect. But in these logic puzzles, I've learned not to assume the "perfect in the real world" fit.

There have also been times when a puzzle refers to some occupation that's usually been held by women, and half the people in the puzzle are women and half men. I have learned not to assume that the traditional women's occupation is held by a woman in the puzzle. It could be a man who works in that field.

--
Amy

7/28/2013 1:17:03 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I agree with Amy, when it comes to logic puzzles never make assumptions! I've learned this personally when it comes to names. Some names that may sound like a female's name might be a man's and vice versa.

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Logic Lover's Logic Problems April 2013 edition