Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Is tabu a variant of taboo?

If you need solving help, ask here; discuss your favorite Crosswords.
8/25/2013 9:41:03 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Hey any crossworders out there? I was filling out Crossword 25 "From the Funnies" in Approved Variety Puzzles Oct. 2013 and came across tabu for "forbidden." I must have stared at that blank in the grid forever before guessing tabu. I didn't realize this spelling was valid. The question is is it a variant of "taboo" or is taboo the variant of "tabu?". I wonder if tabu is legal in Scrabble?

Peace Out.

8/25/2013 9:46:37 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
As a funnies fan I thought this would be a hoot to complete but I only knew 2 of comics sited:

• Dale Messick comic strip. A: Brenda Starr (I know that strip but not the artist/creator)
  • Russell Myers comic strip: A: Broom Hilda (knew that one too)
  • Ham Fisher comic strip. A: Joe Palooka (messed up my grid thinking this one was Joe Bazooka) - never seen this strip
  • Ricahard Outcault stip. A: Buster Brown (never seen this strip, but remember this as a shoe brand in the 70s for kids)

8/25/2013 4:26:14 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I'll take a guess that "taboo" is the "original" word, and that "tabu" is the variant. I just did a quick Google search of both words. There were a lot of entries for "taboo," and I didn't notice any of them referring to "tabu." There were a few Google answers for "tabu" (ignoring some Indian movie star) and one of the entries seemed to say it was "taboo." I'll take it that the "real" word, if you will, is "taboo," and the "derived" word, if you will, is "tabu."

--
Amy

8/25/2013 4:35:10 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I love living in a world in which information is so readily available at our fingertips. I didn't think to google it! I wonder if google (the verb) is an acceptable play in Scrabble now?'

Peace Out.

8/25/2013 9:14:33 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I don't know, but at least "googol" is a mathematical word, and has been for a long time, long before anybody invented "Google."

--
Amy

8/26/2013 7:44:10 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
I don't know, but at least "googol" is a mathematical word, and has been for a long time, long before anybody invented "Google."

Right. That's where "google" comes from.

From the Wikipedia entry for Google:
"Eventually, they changed the name to Google, originating from a misspelling of the word "googol," the number one followed by one hundred zeros, which was picked to signify that the search engine was intended to provide large quantities of information."

Ill have to try it on my scrabble app and see if it will accept google (verb).
Peace Out.
edited by Chris_INPUZZLER on 8/26/2013

8/27/2013 12:19:43 AM

Semipro
Semipro
Webster's Unabridged, 2nd ed. (1934) lists "tabu" as a variant of "taboo." However, it traces "taboo," the primary word, to "tabu" or "tapu," etc., in Polynesian languages such as Tongan and Maori. The spelling for any word in those languages is somewhat arbitrary because the languages had been spoken for a long time before Westerners applied our alphabet to them.

8/28/2013 8:20:57 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Semipro wrote:
Webster's Unabridged, 2nd ed. (1934) lists "tabu" as a variant of "taboo." However, it traces "taboo," the primary word, to "tabu" or "tapu," etc., in Polynesian languages such as Tongan and Maori. The spelling for any word in those languages is somewhat arbitrary because the languages had been spoken for a long time before Westerners applied our alphabet to them.

Semipro,

Your response is the kind of thought-out explanation I was hoping for. Googling the word is just not the same. Thanks for your response!

Chris

8/28/2013 11:20:18 PM

Semipro
Semipro
You're welcome, Chris!

Home » Crossword Talk » Is tabu a variant of taboo?