Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Approved Variety Puzzles

If you need solving help, ask here; discuss your favorite Crosswords.
9/5/2013 8:25:09 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I have to say that the October 2013 issue has some great themed crosswords. I discovered this title via a Value pack order and decided to subscribe. I am glad I did! I've enjoyed solving the crosswords in this issue. The smaller ones are just as enjoyable as the larger grids. I do a large variety of crosswords - Penny / Dells, NYTIMES, LATIMES, Games and so forth, and this issue get my THUMBS UP.

9/6/2013 12:01:49 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Chris, are you talking about the P.P. Approved Variety Puzzles 100th Anniversary edition? I noticed all the theme puzzles myself and wondered if they had anything to do with the 100th Anniversary. In this book they have a three-D crossword on page 50. It's kind of a fun puzzle to do. I've never seen one before but I just recently have been doing Crosswords again, maybe they have been around awhile, I wouldn't know. It was different though. CC

9/6/2013 6:39:19 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Yes, that is the issue - it has a red cover. All of the Penny / Dell crossword titles are imprinted with the 100 Year Anniversary of the Crossword badge this year.

The 3-D puzzle - is it the cube? I enjoy those also and have seen them pop up in other publications too.

9/6/2013 6:40:40 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I just started receiving this title so I am not sure if all the crosswords are themed every month, or if this month is an exception. It also contains one of my favorites, Jigsaw Squares.

9/6/2013 7:07:51 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Yes, I got it a couple of weeks ago. It is the October issue.

9/6/2013 2:14:43 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I'm sure I've got all of them from three years back because it's a Variety Puzzle magazine. I could go through my boxes and find the back issues now that I'm doing crosswords again. I do like the theme puzzles so it will be worth going through the years of issues to find these certain magazines. With 3 years of issues I'm sure there's at least 36 issues in my boxes. CC

9/6/2013 2:56:52 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Sounds like fun! I have 2 issues I received in a variety value pack and 2 issues I've gotten as a part of my subscription. I may have to go through and solve all the crosswords. I also recently picked up the Sunday Crosswords that has the Crossword Tournament puzzles. I have yet to crack that open to start solving. I'm saving it for a rainy day.

9/6/2013 4:48:37 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Chris, when I get the energy to dive into a couple boxes I'll send a couple magazines your way! I'll let you know when I've got them. CC

9/6/2013 5:46:05 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
Chris, when I get the energy to dive into a couple boxes I'll send a couple magazines your way! I'll let you know when I've got them. CC

Thanks!

9/10/2013 11:24:03 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Chris, I've got three Approved Variety Puzzle magazines for you. I'll give you the dates so if you have it I can change it out for another. P.M. me with your address and I'll mail them to you immediately. The way my magazines are boxed now it is easy to find the titles I'm looking for so it was no big deal. I have August 2012, October 2012 and June 2013. CC

9/15/2013 10:16:22 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Chris, do you still want these magazines? I set them aside for you. Only a couple of puzzles have been done in each magazine. I need your address to send them to you. You can send it in a P.M. If you don't want them let me know so I can file them back in my collection or give them to someone else who may be interested. CC

9/15/2013 12:33:55 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
creamchz3@aol.com wrote:
Chris, do you still want these magazines? I set them aside for you. Only a couple of puzzles have been done in each magazine. I need your address to send them to you. You can send it in a P.M. If you don't want them let me know so I can file them back in my collection or give them to someone else who may be interested. CC

I appreciate the offer but will decline. I have so many books already and have subscription issues coming in monthly. Thanks anyway.

10/4/2013 4:35:35 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
The new issue arrived in my mailbox, on my birthday, no less. A beautiful blue color - I hope this color shows up in more publications.

10/5/2013 11:05:22 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
It sure was. I made a trip to Barnes and Noble to buy Malcolm Gladwell's new book and all those puzzle books they sell there are sooooo tempting. I don't buy anything because of all my value packs and scripts.

10/5/2013 12:46:32 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I'm glad I'm not the only one! Any time I'm near a puzzle section in the store I always go check it out, just to see what's there.

10/5/2013 3:22:23 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I have my circuits. I always check for puzzle books - Meijer, Kroger, Wags, CVS, 5 Below, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, B&N. You never know what you'll find!

10/6/2013 8:23:22 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I find the most selection of Penny/Dell products at Meijer in my area. Most other vendors sell a couple of books here or there, but Meijer usually has logics, varieties, crosswords, word seeks, fill-ins, and sudoku. You just have to look every week if there's a specific title you want to get and you know it's coming out on newsstands.

I have noticed over the past couple of months while the space they devote to puzzle magazines has not increased, their supply of Kappa magazines has increased. They publish a mag called "Cryptograms Special" that I have started buying because of its featured place in the rack.

Barnes and Noble satisfies my Will Shortz itch they have tons of his books. Their selection of Penny Dell products on the magazine rack is actually quite limited.

10/6/2013 12:53:37 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Chris the only two stores you mentioned in your post that are near me are CVS and Michaels. The others I'm not familiar with except Barnes and Noble. Didn't realize they had puzzle books at Michaels, but they again I don't go into that store too often. There is a Books-A-Million about a half hour from where I live. I don't get out that way too much. Luckily there is a local book store fairly close to me. It's a smaller establishment and they usually don't have the book I want in stock, but can order it so that's pretty good.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the "Cryptogram Special" at my local Hannaford supermarket. That's the place I most often check out the puzzle section. They have a good selection. At first I thought they were slipping with the logic titles, but I think it's because of the discontinuation of 2 titles recently. I was pleasantly surprised that they had the very last issue of British Logic.

Besides scanning the magazine racks at the local stores I also like to read reviews about puzzles books on Amazon. You can window shop from the comfort of home. smile
edited by Purple Pisces on 10/6/2013

10/6/2013 2:09:28 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
That's a pretty good idea. Meijer is a superstore ala Target in the Great Lakes area. Michael sells the cheapie books for a $1. They aren't the glitziest books, but 80 or so crosswords edited by Timothy Parker is a bargain. I think they are the same puzzle that appears on Yahoo! Games website.

Purple Pisces wrote:
Chris the only two stores you mentioned in your post that are near me are CVS and Michaels. The others I'm not familiar with except Barnes and Noble. Didn't realize they had puzzle books at Michaels, but they again I don't go into that store too often. There is a Books-A-Million about a half hour from where I live. I don't get out that way too much. Luckily there is a local book store fairly close to me. It's a smaller establishment and they usually don't have the book I want in stock, but can order it so that's pretty good.

I'm pretty sure I've seen the "Cryptogram Special" at my local Hannaford supermarket. That's the place I most often check out the puzzle section. They have a good selection. At first I thought they were slipping with the logic titles, but I think it's because of the discontinuation of 2 titles recently. I was pleasantly surprised that they had the very last issue of British Logic.

Besides scanning the magazine racks at the local stores I also like to read reviews about puzzles books on Amazon. You can window shop from the comfort of home. smile
edited by Purple Pisces on 10/6/2013

10/7/2013 8:23:03 AM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
I get all my puzzle books at the grocery store. They all carry them. The drug stores do too but not quite as many as the groceries. Fry's, Safeway. Bashas and even Walmart carries them now. CC

Home » Crossword Talk » Approved Variety Puzzles