Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » General Discussion » Lap Desk Recommendationa

General Discussion.
9/30/2013 9:15:26 PM

Anna Booth
Anna Booth
Hey puzzler friends - does anyone have an idea for a good lap desk? I am more or less bed ridden - I bought a couple plastic ones from Barnes & Noble (like $15 each), but out of carelessness, probably, I stepped on them and they cracked. The bottom was made out of micro beads - I would prefer one with a different type of bottom - cushioned, padded, gel, etc. I try looking online, but its hard to tell. I just don't want little beads getting everywhere and they stick to everything. Let me know what you think - I've been using a 1 inch binder for now.

Hopefully, this thread will be just as awesome as the writing utensil one ended up being...

9/30/2013 10:36:22 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I've never used a lap desk but do use a clipboard, two in fact. I'd be lost without them! I know it's not the same as a lap desk, as you have to hold the clipboard up, but maybe you could use a clipboard on top of a pillow.

9/30/2013 11:25:03 PM

Anna Booth
Anna Booth
Thanks for the idea - is there specific type that would be best??

9/30/2013 11:51:46 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
You're welcome! smile I would definitely recommend a clipboard with a low profile clip. I bought mine from Staples. I get the plastic ones as opposed to the pressed wood. I like the look of the plastic (they have various colors to choose from) and they are easier to clean. I often eat when puzzling and do sometimes get spills on the clipboard. The only down side to the plastic ones is that they do sometimes crack. I have one I'm using now that has a crack, but it's still works perfectly.
edited by Purple Pisces on 10/1/2013

10/1/2013 8:29:43 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I've seen something advertised on TV recently, called TableMate. I'm not sure it would work in a bed, but who knows? I don't know what it costs, and I don't remember the contact info, but it might be TableMate.Com

--
Amy

10/1/2013 2:13:46 PM

Anna Booth
Anna Booth
For the clipboards, how do you place the puzzle magazine? Do you just use it as a hard board, or do you actually clip the puzzle in? Do you use it landscape or portrait?

10/1/2013 3:17:37 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I fold the pages back and clip the magazine to the board. It's nice be cause it keeps the puzzle book in place, instead of sliding around. I use a standard 9"x12" clipboard (Is this what you mean by portrait?) I couldn't find a picture of the 9x12, but did find a picture of the 6x9 size that looks exactly like the ones I own.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Plastic-Memo-Clipboards-Black-Blue-2-Pack-6-inch-x-9/product_329498

10/1/2013 3:44:53 PM

Anna Booth
Anna Booth
Purple Pisces wrote:
(Is this what you mean by portrait?)

I meant like when you clip it/use it, do you hold it horizontally or vertically. I am unsure about the clip because I tend to turn the book on an angle...would the clip hold it straight? I guess I could just hold the clipboard at whatever angle I need.

10/1/2013 3:53:17 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
When it's clipped you can turn both the board and book at angle that's comfortable for you. I hold it vertically or portrait, but do sometimes hold it at a bit of an angle.

5/1/2018 3:18:57 PM

jessyjess
jessyjess
I personally use the Creative manufacturing - 17 Series lap desk and it has been serving me pretty well.

Home » General Discussion » Lap Desk Recommendationa