Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Crossword Definition help

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
10/13/2013 9:17:07 PM

Anna Booth
Anna Booth
Posts: 88
Bernadette1959 wrote:
I've been working in a Dell Puzzler's Sunday Crosswords puzzle magazine and came across an answer to a clue that I cannot understand at all.

(These Sunday crosswords puzzles are themed, and sometimes the clues and definitions are puns or plays on words or just humorous.)

The clue is SKIN PIC and the answer is HAH.

Can anyone help me understand this? I often have to look up the answers to clues in these puzzles and I am fine with that, but it really does bother me when I can't understand the answer after I've looked it up! smile

Bernadette



I did a search for the acronym HAH and found the following that could be possible: "hot as hell". Just maybe...

10/13/2013 9:47:29 PM

Frances
Frances
Posts: 698
Hi Bernadette,

I'm assuming this is "Singled Out" in the December issue, page 20. I think it's an editing error. The #100 across clue is "Make lace" for TAT. Then #101 "Skin pic" could mean a shortened TATTOO, or TAT also. It may have been a case of wanting to change clue #100 and changing #101 by mistake instead. I'm just guessing, but a variant of HA is the only meaning of HAH I know. (That acronym, though, as a tattoo......LOL!)

Frances.
edited by Frances on 10/13/2013

10/14/2013 10:06:48 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Posts: 1599
This reminds me of the time my friends and I were playing "Trivial Pursuit," and an "arts and entertainment" question was asked (maybe it was something like "What was the first song Connie Francis sang on a record?") and when the team having to give an answer, gave up, the person on the opposing team turned the card over and read the answer "The Incredible Hulk." I knew that had to be wrong, and sure enough, my friend had picked 2 cards that stuck together, so she had read one question, then showed us a completely different answer.

--
Amy

10/14/2013 1:36:34 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Posts: 559
Frances wrote:
Hi Bernadette,

I'm assuming this is "Singled Out" in the December issue, page 20. I think it's an editing error. The #100 across clue is "Make lace" for TAT. Then #101 "Skin pic" could mean a shortened TATTOO, or TAT also. It may have been a case of wanting to change clue #100 and changing #101 by mistake instead. I'm just guessing, but a variant of HA is the only meaning of HAH I know. (That acronym, though, as a tattoo......LOL!)

Frances.
edited by Frances on 10/13/2013


Frances' explanation makes the most sense. I don't have this issue. What are the cross clues/answers that would validate HAH and TAT?

10/14/2013 1:40:35 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Posts: 559
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
This reminds me of the time my friends and I were playing "Trivial Pursuit," and an "arts and entertainment" question was asked (maybe it was something like "What was the first song Connie Francis sang on a record?") and when the team having to give an answer, gave up, the person on the opposing team turned the card over and read the answer "The Incredible Hulk." I knew that had to be wrong, and sure enough, my friend had picked 2 cards that stuck together, so she had read one question, then showed us a completely different answer.


Or if there are any Seinfeld devotees here, the famous "Boy in the Bubble" episode in which George informs him the correct answer is "Moops" to who invaded Spain in the 8th century. "There ain't no such thing as 'Moops'!" - "Sorry, the card says, 'Moops"!"

10/14/2013 1:42:20 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Posts: 559
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
This reminds me of the time my friends and I were playing "Trivial Pursuit," and an "arts and entertainment" question was asked (maybe it was something like "What was the first song Connie Francis sang on a record?") and when the team having to give an answer, gave up, the person on the opposing team turned the card over and read the answer "The Incredible Hulk." I knew that had to be wrong, and sure enough, my friend had picked 2 cards that stuck together, so she had read one question, then showed us a completely different answer.



Now the trivia buff in me wants to know - what was the first song Connie Francis sang on record? Was it "Where the boys are?" My CF knowledge is hazy. She was from the Newark Ironbounds, correct?
edited by Chris_INPUZZLER on 10/14/2013

10/14/2013 2:40:49 PM

Frances
Frances
Posts: 698
Chris the Indiana Puzzler wrote:
What are the cross clues/answers that would validate HAH and TAT?

Actually, the down words fit okay with HAH & TAT. It's the clue for HAH that's the puzzling part.

10/14/2013 7:38:09 PM

Anna Booth
Anna Booth
Posts: 88
Frances wrote:
Chris the Indiana Puzzler wrote:
What are the cross clues/answers that would validate HAH and TAT?

Actually, the down words fit okay with HAH & TAT. It's the clue for HAH that's the puzzling part.



Do you mean Skin Pic? If TAT works and is short for tattoo, then skin pic makes sense - its a picture on your skin. Did I misunderstand this statement?

10/14/2013 10:44:14 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Posts: 947
WHAT? A mistake in a puzzle book? I don't believe it, it just can't be so! C sarcastic C

10/16/2013 5:24:21 PM

Frances
Frances
Posts: 698
Also from "Singled Out", Across clue #81: Pepper plant. Answer: SALT. What's that mean? (Pepper partner sounds better, but maybe there's some other meaning to salt that would make sense.)

10/16/2013 6:41:27 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Posts: 1599
Chris, I'm sorry, I don't know the first song Connie Frances sang on radio or record -- though it might have been "Who's Sorry Now." That wasn't actually the Trivial Pursuit question, but the idea was that the answer had nothing to do with the question. In fact, now I'm getting so curious that I'll try looking up Connie Francis on Google and seeing if there's a chronology of her songs.

Google search says that the first song in the chronology was indeed "Who's Sorry Now," in February 1958. "Where the Boys Are" wasn't until January of 1961, according to the site I found, whose URL I will send you privately (I don't think we're allowed to send URL's in public posts, though I could be wrong).
edited by Amy-in-PA on 10/16/2013

OK, Chris, I just sent the private message with the URL

edited by Amy-in-PA on 10/16/2013

--
Amy

10/16/2013 7:35:55 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Posts: 559
That is some pretty creative thinking, Bernadette

Bernadette1959 wrote:
Frances wrote:
Also from "Singled Out", Across clue #81: Pepper plant. Answer: SALT. What's that mean? (Pepper partner sounds better, but maybe there's some other meaning to salt that would make sense.)


Hi Frances!

It could very well be another mistake in this puzzle, but I went way out on a limb trying to justify the "salt" answer. LOL

Since the clues in these puzzles are often not straightforward, I took the word "plant" to mean like an operative or agent. So, in a sense, salt is an agent of pepper. They're usually always together! smile

But again, this may just be wishful thinking on my part and it could very well be another error!


edited by Bernadette1959 on 10/16/2013

10/16/2013 9:33:11 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Posts: 1599
Writing of salt and pepper, that reminds me of a movie named "Salt & Pepper"from maybe 1968, starring Peter Lawford and Sammy Davis. Davis played a guy named Salt, and Lawford played a guy named Pepper, and they were a team. I don't remember if they were a detective team, or a song-and-dance team, or possibly, a detective team whose "cover" was singing and dancing.

--
Amy

10/17/2013 9:59:39 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Posts: 559
Good memory Amy!

Salt and Pepper: Sammy Davis Jr. & Peter Lawford, 1968.

After discovering the body of a murdered female agent in their trendy Soho, London nightclub, groovy owners Charles Salt and Christopher Pepper partake in a fumbling investigation and uncover an evil plot to overthrow the government. Can our cool, yet inept duo stop the bad guys in time? Written by ****=http://www.imdb.com/search/title?plot_author=Woodyanders&view=simple&sort=alpha]Woodyanders

10/17/2013 2:22:16 PM

Anna Booth
Anna Booth
Posts: 88
I must be from a different generation, other than the seasonings, when I think of Salt and Pepper - I think of "Salt and Peppa", 90's rap/R&B group! Haha

10/17/2013 4:02:53 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Posts: 1599
I wonder if anyone with the last name of Pepper, would be "punny" enough (cruel enough?) to make their son, Salton?

--
Amy

10/17/2013 6:14:00 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Posts: 559
Amy Lowenstein wrote:
I wonder if anyone with the last name of Pepper, would be "punny" enough (cruel enough?) to make their son, Salton?


I think that's Dr. Pepper's Christian name.

10/17/2013 10:19:23 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Posts: 947
If he joined the military he could be Sergeant Pepper. CC

10/18/2013 8:13:42 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Posts: 559
Wasn't there a character in Archie comics named Pepper? Could have been in one of the off shoots, like Sabrina the Teenage Witch.

We used to love ready "Archies" (as we called them) in the digest format as kids. I still have a bunch of them and re-read them with my daughters.

10/19/2013 1:57:10 PM

Frances
Frances
Posts: 698
Same magazine, page 52, "Following the Weather", clue #16 Down: Long lunches? Answer: TRUE. What's that mean?

Home » Crossword Talk » Crossword Definition help





7.2.12.0