Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Crossword Definition help

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
10/19/2013 2:15:07 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
Frances wrote:
Same magazine, page 52, "Following the Weather", clue #16 Down: Long lunches? Answer: TRUE. What's that mean?

That's why I don't do Crosswords!! There are always a few clues that come easy to me and then there will be something like what Frances posted. The only guess I have is that it's asking "Long lunches?", as in do you like long lunches, and the answer is true (or yes).
edited by Purple Pisces on 10/19/2013

10/19/2013 3:06:54 PM

Frances
Frances
I've got it! If I'd just looked around a bit I'd seen this is the same as the TAT/HAH mistake. The next clue down, #17, the answer is SUBS. Long lunches----submarine sandwiches! smile I like your ideas, though, Bernadette and Purple! Thanks. I'll post this mistake with the other.
edited by Frances on 10/19/2013

10/19/2013 5:29:27 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
And before I read Frances' post edited on 10/19, I was about to say "It's that same Incredible Hulk problem my friends and I encountered many years ago in a Trivia game."

--
Amy

11/23/2013 11:06:52 AM

Frances
Frances
In billiards, English refers to having the cue stick tip strike the cue ball off-center, to the side. This causes the ball to spin, making its path curvy instead of straight. Many years ago we had a pool table, but I was never very good at playing. The only time I'd "put some English on it" was accidently when I didn't have the cue tip centered correctly on the ball ("miscue"). LOL I enjoyed reading those other clues and answers----thanks for sharing them!

11/23/2013 10:52:44 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Bernadette1959 wrote:
Once again, I really hate it when I have to look up an answer and then find I still don’t understand it. LOL wink

I just finished a crossword puzzle having to do with job descriptions. Here are a few examples of the kinds of clues given and their answers:

Chairman? Lion tamer

Deliveryman? Obstetrician

Letterman? Postal worker

Draftsman? Bartender

Iceman? Diamond dealer

Foreman? Pro golfer

Okay, so here’s the one I had to look up and I just don’t see the connection:

Englishman? Pool player.

I thought about a "Liverpool" connection but that really seemed a bit of a stretch. And people refer to England as being across the "pond", not the "pool." Anyone have any other ideas?
edited by Bernadette1959 on 11/23/2013

That's 599 posts for you Bernadette! Congrats! CC

5/2/2015 10:19:13 AM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
I didn't know where to put this question, so this is as good of a spot as any. I came across the following clue recently:
"Like Crazy Horse, e.g."
The answer was OGLALA

Any ideas? I don't get it. I thought Frances may have an idea.

Chris

5/2/2015 11:08:36 AM

Frances
Frances
Hi Chris,

Oglala is a Sioux tribe, and Crazy Horse was their chief.

Frances.

5/2/2015 5:58:08 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Yes, it seems to me that near Mt Rushmore is a work-in-progress to put a giant statue of Crazy Horse in the rocks, at least as of about 1986 when my husband and I visited that area. For all I know, maybe the work is finished. Then again, maybe never.

--
Amy

5/4/2015 12:16:55 PM

Indiana Puzzler
Indiana Puzzler
Frances wrote:
Hi Chris,

Oglala is a Sioux tribe, and Crazy Horse was their chief.

Frances.

Thanks Francis. I could have found that pretty easy I guess if I used Google to search for it. I've been reading up on Crazy Horse on the internet and it's fascinating.

Chris

Home » Crossword Talk » Crossword Definition help