Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Variety Central » An old Dell puzzle with a possible new answer

See what other Variety puzzle fans have to say, share your solutions, and get help.
11/6/2013 9:17:39 PM

Daniel S. Taber, AKA dst
Daniel S. Taber, AKA dst
The magazine this puzzle is from is Official Crossword Puzzles, August 1993. The puzzle is STAR WORDS, located on page 17. The puzzle instructions are as follows, (with clarifications): "The goal in Star Words is to form three 4-letter words that end in ASH (as in BASH) and three 4-letter words that end on ONS. Place one letter in each of the three top points (it is a six-pointed star, after all!) to complete (three valid English words that) ASH and one letter in each of the bottom three points to complete (three valid English words) ONS. As a handicap, though, the six letters you write into the points should spell out a 6-letter word reading clockwise around the star, beginning at the point indicated by the arrow. (The arrow points to the topmost point, where the second letter of words ending in ASH is.) You deserve a gold star if you can do it the first time around." The answer (on page 63) is SLICED (Sash, Lash, Ions, Cons, Eons, and Dash). My answer is CRESTS (Cash, Rash, Eons, Sons, Tons, and Sash). This satisfies the puzzle criteria because there is no mention of repeating letters in the answer word (there are two S's in CRESTS, but SONS and SASH are two different words), or plurals. I don't know if this answer was suggested due to the fact that I don't think (but I am not sure) I have the September 1993 issue of the magazine. Can someone from Dell get back to me about this?

P.S. #1: I got a set of over thirty Dell puzzle books on eBay recently, and I was looking through them, and I stumbled on this puzzle. I am grateful for whomever sent them to me (via my Mom, as I don't have a PayPal account [and I don't have a credit card])!

P.S. #2: Can anyone find any other acceptable answers to this puzzle?
edited by Daniel S. Taber, AKA dst on 11/6/2013
edited by Daniel S. Taber, AKA dst on 11/6/2013

11/7/2013 12:12:36 AM

Frances
Frances
I came up with chests, chided, chides, chisel, crises, glided, glider, glides, glitch, grists, slicer, slider, switch, whiter, wrests, wretch, wrists, and writes.

11/7/2013 3:48:51 AM

Daniel S. Taber, AKA dst
Daniel S. Taber, AKA dst
Seriously?! I thought there was only a single answer. Why? Because according to the magazine, it says, "Solution on page 63." It didn't mention "Our answer on page 63." I thought that meant there was only one answer. Wow! Between me and Frances, there were *twenty* (or more!!) unique solutions?! But hey, I am happy with finding one alternate! And nice going, Frances! I tip my hat off to you!!
edited by Daniel S. Taber, AKA dst on 11/7/2013
edited by Daniel S. Taber, AKA dst on 11/7/2013

11/7/2013 4:04:43 AM

Daniel S. Taber, AKA dst
Daniel S. Taber, AKA dst
Remember, I have no idea if these alternate answers appeared in a later issue of Official Crossword Puzzles. So, if it was, I am sorry about even posting this some 20+ years later. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't feel bad about reporting a possible error (even if it appeared over twenty years ago). (This *could* be filed there, however, but with me being up all night, I wasn't exactly thinking. Thank you!

11/7/2013 12:19:49 PM

Dell Editorial Staff
Dell Editorial Staff
Hi Daniel, and thanks for your inquiry! We had a copy of that issue on hand and took a look at the puzzle. Indeed there are multiple correct solutions and the solution line should have read "Our solution is on page 63." It was actually fun looking through this issue from 1993 as it took us down memory lane. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

11/7/2013 1:04:12 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
Wow, I thought I kept books a long time! You say you got this on ebay? Maybe I could find the select WORD GAMES PUZZLE #1. I know there were a few of us looking for it and if I remember correctly PP does not have any plans on reprinting it. Awesome idea! Thanks! CC

Home » Variety Central » An old Dell puzzle with a possible new answer