Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Help solving this crypto-puzzle?

Logic Problem fans, discuss solutions and get solving help.
12/21/2013 12:34:40 PM

ThomGrayson
ThomGrayson
I was recently given a crypto-puzzle, and I have no idea how to solve it. I was told that it could be worked out by hand, but I don't even know where to start!

Here is is -

GI5KB B/M G6 Y T12IPIO
O PT4FWDLW\5L KQW\45NHZ JXA
V2DP L+S9
B 4+5 6
HV+O6/C SR4Q XR/X/S NB\EP D1R8M
G+2N

If this is the wrong place to post this sort of puzzle, let me know! And thanks in advance for any help smile

12/21/2013 1:27:34 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I've never seen a crypto puzzle quite like this. The only thing that is standing out to me is the beginning of line 4. B4= before. I'm not saying that's what it is, but that's the only sensible thing I can pull from this puzzle. Not much help I know. Maybe someone else is more familiar with this type of puzzle and can be of more help.
edited by Purple Pisces on 12/21/2013

12/21/2013 3:22:57 PM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
Good Lord, this thing has both letters and numbers in it! And then it has all those mathematical symbols, too. It's not the sort of puzzle I'd even attempt.

--
Amy

12/21/2013 5:29:55 PM

ThomGrayson
ThomGrayson
Good news, I think. I asked the guy for a hint, he says the symbols are 'spacers' meant to make it look more challenging than it is - so they can be ignored!

That doesn't really help though, because what I was trying to do at first was to calculate position based on the math C+2 would equal E, for instance. But I guess that was completely off-base...

12/22/2013 2:27:28 PM

Purple Pisces
Purple Pisces
I cant figure it out, even with the hint you gave us. I'll be interested to know what the trick to solving it is! smile

12/22/2013 4:05:25 PM

Frances
Frances
I have also been unsuccessful at solving this problem. When you say to ignore the symbols, do you mean just the punctuation, or also the numbers? "Spacers" are new to me. Do we keep the spaces once symbols are removed, or close up the space? It certainly does meet the criterion of making it look more challenging. As it is, without changing anything, we have 3 stand-alone letters----Y, O, and B. "A" and "I" I can guess, then.....? And if numbers are removed, there's also G.

Do the letters stand for something (K on a P=keys on a piano type of thing)? Is it a typical letter substitution like we're familiar with in PennyDell magazines? Does it use a more complicated code-cracking system? Is this some computer programmy stuff? Geocaching? Are we to read it like vanity license plates or text message shorthand?

Another person (one Blythe Burzum) has also posted on the Internet for help with this, but no results yet. Please ask your guy or the source of the puzzle for the solution and post it here for us. Thanks!
edited by Frances on 12/22/2013

Home » Math and Logic Problem Exchange » Help solving this crypto-puzzle?