Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » Question on difference btw ocher and ochre

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
3/21/2014 4:33:03 AM

icauser44
icauser44
In the penny press variety puzzle books, when it asks a clue like "reddish yellow" is the answer ocher or ochre? I know they are the same but typically which one does the magazine use and why?

3/21/2014 6:25:38 AM

Amy Lowenstein
Amy Lowenstein
I don't know the answer to your actual question, but how about spelling the word BOTH ways in light pencil, until some other clue makes it obvious which spelling happens to be used? It might not even be the same spelling each time.

When I have two choices that both initially fit, in a Crostic, I'll write the letters I know definitely (if any) in normal pencil, and where there's a choice between, say, "e" and "r" on one letter, I'll write a small "e" AND a small "r" in light pencil, in that space. Then if there's a choice between a "y" and a "k" in another space, I'll do the same thing. Eventually something will prevail, and I go back and fill in only the one that fits.

--
Amy

3/27/2014 5:02:03 PM

creamchz3@aol.com
creamchz3@aol.com
In the PP magazines I've only seen it spelled ocher, never ochre. Am I right PP? CC

4/23/2014 6:28:08 PM

Rosie
Rosie
In Australia we use OCHRE. My understanding is that this is the British version. Even though I have been doing these puzzles for years, I still get caught with US English eg neighbor when I want to spell neighbour.

Home » Crossword Talk » Question on difference btw ocher and ochre