Solver's Forum
Messages in this topic - RSS

Home » Crossword Talk » barking dog of Australia

Discuss your favorite Crosswords. If you need solving help, ask here!
4/23/2014 6:17:13 PM

Rosie
Rosie
I am Australian and have noted a few times the clue "barking dog of Australia". The answer has been listed as "dingo" however dingoes don't bark. They howl sometimes but don't bark. Perhaps a better clue would be "Australian native dog" ?

4/24/2014 8:01:39 AM

The Editors
The Editors
Dear Rosie,
Welcome to the forum! Thank you for your interest in our publications. It’s exciting to know we have solvers Down Under. Can you tell us the specific publications or puzzles that have included the incorrect clue for DINGO? If we’ve been using an incorrect clue, we’d like to correct the puzzles if they are ever reprinted.
Thank you.
The Editors

1/21/2015 5:10:47 PM

Rosie
Rosie
Sorry, I was unable to find the issue that had this but I have come across it twice in 20 years of working your crosswords so in the scheme of things...its no big deal!

1/29/2015 4:41:44 PM

Rosie
Rosie
I have to stop barking on about this one, but just after I posted my last comment, my subscription arrived (takes quite a while to get to where I live!). In Solver's Choice Special Edition Fall 2014, Challenger Crossword 53, the clue #47 across is, "Wild barkers" and the answer is "Dingoes". A more accurate description might be "Wild howlers". Dingoes do share many traits with domestic dogs but barking isn't one of them. Sadly, as they are interbreeding more and more with domestic dogs, the gene pool is being affected and there are now some living in the bush that have mixed genes. Some of these have a sort-of bark - well, they try anyway!

Home » Crossword Talk » barking dog of Australia